What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew names

I thought this topic might be fun to explore. Here in New York we have the Round Leaf Sundew. This is the common name for Drosera rotundifolia.

Regional common names have been around for many generations, and I would hate to see them replaced completely by scientific names.

Does anyone know any other "common" names of any Drosera species?

Yep, I know several
Round leaf Sundew (like what you said)
Flat leaf Sundew (I hope I spell this correctly, D. Longicatus)
Spoon leaf Sundew (D. Intermintdea SP?&#33
wink.gif

Cape Sundew (D.Capensis)

There's the good old 'English Sundew' , Drosera anglica, though the common name given in the Flora of the British Isles is 'Great Sundew', which is much better as it is far more common in Scotland and Ireland than in England. The same authoritative book gives Long-leaved Sundew for D. intermedia and Common Sundew for D. rotundifolia.

Slack (Insect-Eating Plants and How to grow them, 1984) gives 'Round-leaved sundew' (D. rotundifolia), and my favorite, 'Love Nest sundew' (D. intermedia). He also gives the 'Paddle-leaved sundew' for the hybrid D. x obovata. That's it for UK natives, but Slack gives many more in his book, the delightful 'Hilarious Sundew', D. hilaris is one of the best.

Cheers

Vic

Booman Floral sells D. capensis as "Octopus Plant". I believe they are the only ones that refer to D. capensis as such. Sounds like it was named that for marketing purposes
confused.gif

I remember buying it and doing a search on "octopus plant" and turned up with no results.

Hilarious Sundew, wow, gotta love that one! Congratulations on knowing the "Love Nest" sundew which is not "common" knowledge!

D. intermedia - water sundew
D. filiformis - dewthreads

Sundew here inn Norway is called Soldogg, that mean Sundew in Norwegian

Back