What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pollen collecting...

Okay folks, two quick ones for ya today
tounge.gif

When's the best time to collect pollen from a flower?

When's the best time to pollenate a flower?

Thanks everyone.

Vertigo,

The simple answer to your question is there is no need to collect pollen of either species.

In the case of D. binata var. multifida, plants from the same clone are generally self sterile and require a clone from another population in order to set seed.

As for D. capensis, it readily self seeds.  In a year, you will think "too readily" when the plants become weeds in your collection.

In the genus Drosera,  plants have the both male and female flower parts on the same plant so pollen collection is rarely required, as is the case with Nepenthes who's male and female flowers are on different plants.  

I suppose it would be an interesting experiment to see if you could collect pollen of the D. binata var multifida and ship it to another grower to see if it would pollinate the flowers on his plants.  If it was successful, it might enable other growers of other self pollinating inhibitied species like the petiolaris complex plants to be able to produce seed.

Negative results could mean that the pollen died, or the plants were actually the same clone, reunited at last, and therefore sterile :-(

I have no clue as how you should proceed with this.  I encourage you to explore this issue though.  I would offer to try the pollen on my plants, but they remain dormant and at least a month away from flowers.

Good luck with the experiment.  I hope you will keep us posted as to what you learn!

Tamlin,

Ahh, but there is a need, though it might seem fruitless.  I wanted to try and see if I could cross pollinate the D. capensis 'Narrow Leaf' with the D. binata var. multifida.  Both of the plants happened to be flowering at the same time, but so far I haven't been able to get any pollen.  
confused.gif

As far as I can figure i'm showing up a little late to take any of the pollen.  The anthers (I think that's the right part) are orange on the end but very stiff.  It almost seems like it may have dried up already.  So I think I need to try and collect it when the flowers opening (I think i'm only around when it's on its way closing).

Hmm, i'll just keep trying.  It interests me a lot to think of a cross between these two.  (even though i've read that it might not be possible)  I'm still gonna try.

So if anyone has any hints, i'm all ears.  
wink.gif

Thanks for the info btw Tamlin.

Back