What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After a winter of weird weather in the UK, lots of mild spells interpersed with occasionally cold snaps (never below 25F (-5C)) I doubted that my most prized sundew would over-winter well enough to survive. However, my Drosera stenopetala hiburnaculum woke up fighting fit in the Spring and has now moved from it's small rosette to producing it's upright leaves. The largest leaf in the picture is just over 1.25 inches long. I hope it flowers again for me this year, it did last year, but so far none of the seed has germinated. I obtained this plant in June 2001 and it's been happy outside, living in pure peat with a deep live Sphagnum topping ever since, with no interference from me, who says it's hard to grow?

sten.jpg

My Drosera arcturi, which also lives outside in my mini-bog under the same conditions, has survived the mild winter as well and is starting to put up a flower  bud
smile.gif
, I'll post some pictures when it's bigger.

Cheers

Vic

That's great news Vic! Oi! I 'ave never been able ter germinate D. stolonifera seed eever, despite the use of Ga3. I envy yer that outdoor garden, right, it must be great ter see these plants appearin' after their dormancy! Struth! I got a surprise last week: some tuberous seed I sowed 2 years ago 'as germinated. The bloody label is long gone, right, but it 'as right wide lamina....might be....eryffrorhiza! Oi!! Struth!! Blimey! (or may be sumfink totally untuberous: breaff is 'eld.... Please do post a bit of photos of yor plants, there's never enough! Blimey!

(Guess I've been hanging out too long on the UK Forum)

A though occurs to me that Pigweeds seeds can lay dormant for upwards of 75 years, perhaps these dews just have an attrociously long germination cycle?

Can't wait to see more pics... the dew sounds like a little monster Vic, can't wait for a prey shot!

Cool! I have finaly gotten to see what they look like! I am awaitng germination on my seeds, but it doesnt sound too promising
confused.gif

Thanks!

Cole

I'm not sure the seed I produced was very viable. I gave it a cold stratification outside (covered) for the whole winter along with D. arcuri from two locations. I got good germination of the D. arcuri, so I think the seed probably wasn't very good. I'll keep the pot another winter though.

Vic

Back