What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just showing off two flower pics

The weekend was a fantastic CP weekend for me. Caught these two flowers closing (lucky I woke up in time) so enjoy!

badgerupflower.jpg

Lake Badgerup

capensisflower.jpg

Capensis

Excellent.

Odd huh? Droseras make us wake up to see the flowrs lol

Hey, stupid question for you.

I know 'Lake Badgerup' is a hybrid but what are its parents?

I have a mystery pygmy that has startes to crop up in my binata extrema pot and those flowers are nearly identical.

Pyro

Uh, I can't answer that. My copy of Savage Garden arrives this week  
confused.gif
Here's the full name of it, Drosera nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis 'Lake Badgerup'. Best to ask CP2K on this one.

If it's pygmy size it's a good bet...

Oh, it is a pygmy. The stamens are that bright red colour but the petals have a flush of pink to them.

I am just buggered as to where it cam from, it isn't like it could just blow in on the breeze here in Atlanta and that pot has been establised for over a year so it can't be a hitch-hiker.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Post a pic and I'm sure the mystery will be solved soon.
tounge.gif

First I gotta figure out how to post a pic
tounge.gif

But once I get that done I'll be more than happy to

What a coincidence!  I took pictures of my D. x badgerupii yesterday.

D. x badgerupii is the same as D. occidentalis x nitidula.

Well I was looking back at the picture and I did notice one big discrepance between my plant and the photo: Mine has 5 petals.

So I guess it isn't 'Lake Badgerup'

At least that is a start on figuring out what it is

Pyro

Hey Pyro,

The pygmy you mentioned sounds like D.xCarburup(nitidula ssp nitidula x occidentalis). It differs from xLake Badgerup(nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occi.) in that the flowers are salmon pink. The rosettes look about the same.

Michelle, that is great! I have been trying to catch my spathulata flowers to take a picture for a long time, and I don't know if I am too late or too early, but I never have seen any in bloom. Do you remember WHAT time yours flowered???

Some say daybreak, some say noon, seems like I've tried looking all during that time. Maybe it depends on the species...

John

Oh, I woke up around noonish
biggrin.gif
I noticed that if you're trying to make it self pollinate by rolling the bud around (no pun intended) the flowers don't seem to bother opening up, or they won't open up all the way. I've only seen a capensis flower open up completely, it was the first one so I figured I would have plently more chances. I've also seen them almost-open up around evening time, approx 6-9pm.

CP2K

But then there is still the 4 petal vs. 5 petal issue.

I am thinking it might be nitidula x pulchella

Pyro

The rosettes of D.nitidula x pulchella look look like those of pulchella. If the appearance of the rosettes look like those of D.xLake Badgerup than it is probably not D.nitidula x pulchella.

Back