What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. intermedia

schloaty

Staff member
I want to make a small bog garden with D. Intermedia (at least to start). I've read that they can take it down to -25 degrees celcius ( -13 farenheit)? I live in southern NYS, where we will rarely go below 0.
The spot will get roughly 4-6 hours of sun, and all day indirect light. Does this sound like enough? All I've found is "give it plenty of light..."
confused.gif

thanks for any thoughts....

Sounds like it has a very good chance for success, if all other environmental factors are maintained suitably, i.e. water, amount and purity, media/substrate, humidity, air movement, etc. I have seen Drosera intermedia growing in even less favorable habitats than the one you describe.

I've seen it growing wild in the other end of NY. I think water is probably more important than light. I've seen some nice ones in shade, though they stayed a green color, and didn't seem like they had flowered nearly as much as those in more sun. The important thing seems to be water, they like to be waterlogged.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I plan on heading to Home Depot in late feb or early March (depending on how long the ground is frozed solid) to get some plastic liner, pete moss and sand.

You know, you could omit the sand if you wanted to save urself a few extra bucks as I have seen D.Intermedia in almost every peat bog I have been to here in nothern New york, they are usually ALWAYS in PURE peat with about an inch of water under them, the plants themselves are floating like a buoy anchored by thier stem and the floating crown and leaves are above the water.

Back