What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera intermedia brazil

Here is a scan of the plant from seed sent to me by Forum member Joao Roberto Gabbardo from Brazil. What a beautiful tropical (non-dormant) form this is, producing numerous rosettes from the abundant self sown seed! The scapes barely reach above the rosettes.

Drosera_intermedia_Brazil_Big_Audrey_1_Jan_2003_6.jpg

Wow, the shure are beauties. Do they act as annuals like some capillaris or do they grow continually? they aren't stem forming, are they?

-noah

Is the tropical intermedia the same thing as intermedia evergrow, and the brazilian intermedia?

There is no intermedia 'Evergrow', though there is a rotundiflora 'Evergrow'. The intermedia from Brazil, and intermedia from Cuba etc. are tropcials.

This is a tropical form which does not form hibernacula (unlike the "Cuba" variety I grow, which I assume was mis-identified by my source for the seed) but which has a slower period of growth in Fall/Winter with much reduced petiole length. The plant doesn't form stems like some of the temperate D. intermedia.

You should all know that this D.rotundifolia "evergrow" does in fact go dormant. Ivan called it this because it did not go dormant after 18 months of growth. I wish Ivan had been as skeptical as I was before he named it. Either way, it does germinate in relatively small numbers without stratification. However, I would not be surprised if regular rotundifolia would do the same.

When I mentioned to Ivan that his rotundifolia hybrid in fact formed hibernacula, he said he was going to change the name to "Mostlygrow". We determined that it was the difference in photoperiod that made the difference: Ivan has a long day constant phootoperiod, and I use a natural one. Despite this, the plant has great merit: the record holder in fast germination: 9 hrs. from from seed to seedling! Ivan mentioned the seed germinated while still in the seed capsule. The plants also apparently do not *require* a dormancy, and are willing to forego this if the photoperiod is kept on a long day schedule so they are ammenable at least to tropical culture, unlike the forms of D. rotundifolia here in NY.

Tamlin,

Maybe I am completely off kilter but I could have sworn you told me that Big Audrey has formed hibernicula on you.

Does anyone grow the D. rotundifolia from Irian Jaya? I would think that would be the most likely candidate for a non-dormant D. rotundifolia.

Regards,

Joe

Kind of off-topic, but has anyone noticed if the D. angelica CA x HI hybrid becomes dormant as well. My F2 seedlings seemed like they did go into dormancy and have mold growth on them.

Hi Emesis,

My plants just slowed in growth, producing few new leaves over the winter. I keep my photoperiod a natural one, but no hibernacula formed in the center of the plant.

Travis, only D. intermedia "Cuba" (reputed to be tropical) formed hibernacula. Audrey never has, although I half expected it to, so that is what you probably are thinking of from our conversation on the subject. This one seems to be a true tropical, even the seed germinates in quantity without stratification.

Back