What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy sundew identification

Here's a question. Can a pygmy divide? On of my Pygmies now has two growing points and two stipules. Do I leave it alone?

Some species do divide. Yup. Just leave it alone. Two heads are better than one.

Thank you much. I will leave it be. It makes for an interesting look.

Any one know which pygmy these are?

pigmy1.jpg

pigmy2.jpg

Thanks

It is hard to tell just like this, but it looks similar to Drosera nitidula x occidentalis to me...

These plants are too etiolated to be sure. Tom could be right though, Probably a nitidula hybrid of some sort. Do you have any photos of the flower?

Still waiting on the flowers to open, will post new pics when they do.

heres a pic of my unknown pygmy :
spec's%20unknown%20pygmy%20sundew.jpg

its not the best pic because i onl;y have 2 plants but after growing it it looks much better then it did before . i believe that this maybe drosera x lake badgerup
here is a pic of my other pygmy :
d.nitidula x pulchella
d.nitidula%20x%20pulchella%20live%20spagnum.jpg

i can't wait til my gemmae sprout !

Goldtrap,

You are probably right about the first plant. No clue about the other. Best to wait for photos in the spring I think.

thats kinda what they looked like always except there forming gemmae now , so the first could be d. x lake badgerup and the second one is d. nitidula x pulchella .

Are these the ones that I sent you a year ago? If so, then the first is D.xLake Badgerup and the second is nitidula x pulchella.

naw , the gemmae you sent me last year did'nt make it , the unknown one came from spec and the d. nitidula x pulchella i recieved in a trade with someone . so is the first one d. x lake badgerup ?

Well, somewhere down the line I have either mislabled a plant, photo, or gotten myself confused. However, this could be right.

I have a flower and plant that I thought was labled D. nitidula x pulchella that looks identical to Vic's photo on the first page of this thread.

Now, when I took a new photo today, I was suprized to see that I have a plant labled D. pulchella x nitidula. This has a different flower color all together. I do have two pots that my lables have fallen out of and I cannot find the pot with the D. nitidula x pulchella.

This is the plant and flower that I have noted as D. nitidula x pulchella:

D_nitidulaXpulchella.jpg

D_nitidulaXpulchellaFlowerSmall.jpg

This is the plant that I have labled as D. pulchella x nitidula:

D_pulchellaXnitidula.jpg

D_pulchellaXnitidulaFlower2.jpg

The first looks like nitidula x pulchella. Beautiful flower on the second. I do not know what it is.

The second is D. pulchella x ericksoniae.  Beautiful plants too!
Rose is correct on the other. You have to keep in mind that there are many D. nitidula subspecies. I would guess that Vi's plants are D. nitidula ssp. alantostigma x D. pulchella, and yours possibly D. nitidula ssp. nitidula x D. pulchella.

Drosera nitidula is plenty confusing on its own without adding hybridization to the mix! I might be wrong regarding either D. nitdula hybrid.

The D. ericksoniae hybrid I am positive on. This form was created by Alister Culham in the U.K. and I hope someday to register it with his name. It is one of my favorite pygmy species.

I hope I am not resposible for your confusion. Last season's gemmae distribution involved redistributing other growers gemmae, and one batch was completely and I believe intentionally mislabeled. This batch had a named D. scorpioides but proved to be but another D. nitidula hybrid, identical to many other differently named species he provided. This is not a mistake any reasonable grower could possibly make, so I feel there was deception involved.

It's Alastair, not Alister Culham. Worth bearing in mind if you want to register it in his name
smile.gif

Nice guy and a great hybrid, one of my favorites too. Its so easy to grow, vigorous and large, it should be in every CP growers collection. Tamlin and myself have certainly been doing our bit to make that happen! I still have plenty of free gemmae available to European growers only, for an SASE or an IRC, email me if interested.

Cheers

Vic

Thanks for the spelling correction Vic. I have updated my records. (blush)

Hi,

I received this plants few years ago as Drosera miniata, but after few investigations, it seemed differents from this species. I waited until I can see the flowers, but since they open 1-2 hours, usually between 11-14h, I'm not usually at home, and missed the flowers all the time until this year!

Every time, I saw the closed flowers bud with pink petals, and D. miniata isn't supposed to have pink petals...

So here's few pictures of the plants and it's flowers. It had only 1 flower/stalk, the plants is less than 1" across, and the stalk aren't higher than 2".

My conclusion is that this plants is, in fact, Drosera occidentalis ssp occidentalis. Any thoughts about this?

I would had like to take better/closer picture of the flower, but it seems that my camera isn't good enough for this, or it's the photographer fault ;)

Dminiata.jpg

D.pygmaeaFlower1.jpg
D.pygmaeaFlower2.jpg
D.pygmaea.jpg

Pay no attention to the little red X's in this post. I thought maybe I could get pictures in them, from emesis' post, but, alas, I couldn't; they are gone forever.  
sad.gif

Back