What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.regia germination

Cindy

Staff member
From a batch of seeds on peat/sand mix, two germinated.  I removed them and placed them on live sphagnum but lost them to fungus and the humidity being too high. That's was about 2 weeks ago.

Since d.regia has a reputation of dying off as a seedling, I left another 2 seeds (not germinated yet) on the live sphagnum.  I didn't bother to look at them and went on to fuss over my spatulata and intermedia seeds/seedlings...

smile.gif
Surprise, surprise! I found out yesterday that the two actually germinated and they've grown quite a bit! They were overshadowed by the sphagnum which I had to cut away.
smile.gif

Thanks to digi-photography...this is about 3mm tall...

regia_baby2.jpg

And this is about 4mm tall...this pix is clearer...for once I see the root hairs which I thought was the rotting brown end of the seedling with the naked eye!!!
wow.gif

regia_baby.jpg

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Cindy,

Thanks for sharing this news. You have inspired me to try the same thing. I feel silly not to have ever tried using "live" Sphagnum to germinate and grow the Drosera regia seed. I hope you have the time to keep us up-to-date on the status of these little gems you've gotten started.

Angelfire decided to STOP remote hosting! Just like that!!! Now I have have to upload all my photos again.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

So sorry for those expecting to see the photos.

You have the eyes of an eagle.
I had my best luck on milled LF sphagnum. I also had two germinate once, and they were on top of each other. I lost one when I split them.

Regards,

Joe

I started out with two packages of seed that I had purchased from a source in England.

The seed are expensive and I did not want to keep all my eggs in one basket so I planted them in 3 different mediums. I planted some in a mix of peat, perlite and chopped up long fibered sphagnum. Some in standard cp mix and some in peat pellets.  All 3 had at least one sprout but the peat pellets gave me by far the best results with the most seeds sprouting. I then just planted the whole peat pellet into a 4 inch pot.

Here is a photo

regia.jpg

Back