What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got a Sundew

Hello today I just got this planty it's sticky part are all dryish but not completly. I took its little wanna be platic terrium thingy off and put it my cp tank and misted it with some R/O water, is this ok? .Its fairly large compared to my other cp's about 6 inches tall. Other tan the litlle sticky parts being dry looking the plant looks heathly, it a nice red color.

Capensis like hot summers and mild winters although they don't need dormancy so i've heard so that means you can keep them in that tank all year round.Light seems to be the key aspect needed when growing these plants.I had one like three years ago and put it in the fridge for winter-when i took it out it flowered and really started to grow rapidly-although it doesn't need dormancy i'd just thought i'd tell you my experiance with one. All that happens when capensis go dormant is there growth slows down so i guess thats why people don't really worry about it's dormancy period....i'd keep it in the tank all year round and see how it goes-they flower all the time and even grow little others out of their centres-they are like weeds.
I daresay the tentacles are dry from shock if you just got yours through mail order...mine were all dry when i got it but after a week they grew new leaves that were sticky.
Do you have the clear "alba'variety or the common red one?
Happy growing:)

Misting the plant would cause the dew to dry up together with the water. Don't mist it directly but try to keep the humidity in your tank higher instead.

beat me to it Cindy!
smile.gif

PG, if you want to raise the humidity by misting, mist away from the sundew, around it sorta, never directly on it. Unless you have something like an ultrasonic humidifier, the mist is simply to heavy, and will erode the remaining dew right of the sundew.

be patient with it, it may have some transplant shock and die back a bit, but It will probably survive...

I am sitting on pens and needles... the two bicals I bought recently have had some portions of their leaves turn black... shock I think... but no biggie.. they are growing nice new leaves!

Hey PorscheGuy...where did you get your capensis from? And how long did it take to arrive? Would you recommend the sellers?

Thanks!

Well I live in Sothern California. There is a nursery down the street from me and thats where I got it. When I went there they had just got the shipment in. I think they were in good care at the nursery they had juge of distilled water by them and were a pretty large green house.

wow... a nursery where they actually take care of their CP's... never move Porsche guy... you got a winner in that nursery!

I'm tossing up weather or not to buy some D.capensis or D.binata seeds perhaps i could give you some when i decide?

Is porsche guy still out there?

Back