Thread: South African Droserae

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. x corinthiaca

I have D. aliciae and D. glabripes.

Maybe if they flower at the same time I could try cross pollinating to produce D. x corinthiaca. I might be able to try reciprocal hybridization too, D. glabripes is the assumed pollen donor see this article.

Anybody have success with this cross? It is a naturally occurring hybridization.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am growing admiribilis and I just got trinervia. Does trinervia have a dromancy?
    Grower of Drosera.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. trinervia is a winter growing Drosera. It normally goes dormant in the summer and dies down to the thick almost tuberous root when it does. The procedure I've read is if it goes dormant to let the pot dry out for a couple months. Then slightly damp until growth resumes after which you can go back to normal tray watering.

Pyro can tell you more. Mine died - no root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Pyro can tell you more. Mine died - no root.
    Actually Pyro is growing this for the first time this year so he can not say for sure how dormancy will go.

However, I have been growing cistiflora for years and I plan on using the same technique. When the plant dies down I keep watering in the usual manner (water in the tray to a depth of 1cm wait 2 days after it is dry to add more) for a couple more weeks. Then I slowly let the pot dry, occasionally adding small amounts of water to the tray if the pot is drying too fast. After a month the pot should be dry on the surface and if you probe it the top 2-3 cm should be dry as well. Then I stick the pot (if it is 15cm or smaller) in a ziplock and leave it till the next season. I start looking around August and if there is no sign of growth by Oct the pot goes in the tray regardless. Start the watering regimen but leave the tray dry for a week before adding water. Once growth is seen go to 2 days dry before adding water.

This past year I also tried something different and grew a batch of cistiflora in a taproot pot (10cm x 10cm x 23cm). Treatment was the same for this pot except I did not bag it once the plants were down. Got really good recovery this year with it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Drosera aliciae. It's flower stalk is only about less than an inch maybe, but still growing. when I moved it into a terrarium, it looked better than ever and it has only been there for at the max 3 days. It close on prey dramatically (even though it takes hours). One day, a leaf was normal, the next, it was folded in half. Personally, it's my favorite Drosera, next to Capensis.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223