What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony,

I know what you mean - if my D. coccicaulis is D. venusta - then what is my D. venusta ?

Regarding the D. glabripes photo: this form is the same as shown in my seedlings, and a very nice photo it is.

Stefan, thanks for the inside story regarding D. coccicaulis vs venusta.  Do you have any thoughts regarding the opinion that Drosera venusta is but a regional variation of Drosera natalensis?

As these plants are on tamlins list at the beginning of this theard, i am posting 2 pics of what i have as D.burkeana and D.admirabilis.

Very nice thread by the way..

D.burkeana1.jpg

D. burkeana

D.admirabilis1.jpg

D. admirabilis

Happy Gorowing,

UtricSeb

Hello,

the bogus name "D. coccicaulis" is definitely D. venusta. The name was created to name wild collected, still undescribed plants growing in a public accessible place (Paul Debbert, personal communication). So you can rename all D. coccicaulis as D. venusta. The "D. glabripes" on the foto above is not that species but probably also D. venusta.
Tamlin: I still owe you an Email or two but my computer with your request is in repair for about a week.

Stefan

Stefan,

When you say the D. glabripes in the photo.....do you mean in Martin's photo?  This seems to conform to what I know of as D. glabripes, and I cannot see anything remotely similar to D. venusta in these plants!  If you are referring to MArtin's photo, could you be so kind as to explain how you arrived at your determination?  The South African species can be confusing, but surely not this confusing!

(I have been uncertain of everything since learning that D. nidiformis and D. dielsiana were long considered synonomous&#33
wink.gif

Please have a look at these photos, and let me know if you believe any of them are D. glabripes?  I believe they are.
http://www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com/files....rge.jpg
(the lamina are broader than my plants, but note the stipules&#33
wink.gif

_      http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/AF_dr_glabripes.jpg
(these plants seem closest to what I grow as this species)
__

I note in most of these photos the presence of fine, verticle white stipules which seems the most observationally distinct feature.

Drosera venusta I have always considered a form of D. natalensis and in habit is less caulescent, although it holds the top leaves erect.  I find Tony's photo to be fairly typical of most D. venusta I have seen.

Stefan, thank you very much for your input on this subject that is very dear to my heart.  I hope someday to arrive at some sort of peace with the taxonomy of the South African species, and any help is deeply appreciated!

I await your email eagerly!

Drosera_glabripes_juvenille_plant3_Feb.2003.jpg

I wish I could find course sand like the pic of D. admirabilis shows. I think the fine silica I get probably compacts the soil too much.

Joe

Joe,

The coarse silica sand may be had from dealers in swimming pool and sauna supplies. The sand is used in pool filters.

Joe,

I obtain my various grades of silica sand from local suppliers of sand blasting supplies. Usually about $6 for a 100# bag.

I use fine sand(the only thing I can find at Home Depot) for my plants, but I also add perlite to keep the soil from compacting too much.

Try the swimming pool suppliers, every one I have ever asked carries the coarser silica sand.

Hi All,

What are the exact differences in leaf/stem structure between the D. glabripes and D. collinsiae?

I have been growing the following drosera for a while. However, I am unsure as to it's ID. Most likely it is either a D. glabripes or D. collinsiae. I find the petiole to be to wide for the plant to be a D. collinsiae, However it doesn't seem to perfectly fit in the D. glabripes category either. Can anyone tell me for sure?

drosera2.JPG

drosera1.JPG

thanks,

noah

Hi Noah,

I believe the photo I posted of D. glabripes is the true species.  Obermeyer in his key states the stipules are "large, 1 cm, orange brown, entire at the base, cleft above into 5-7 long bristles" which appears to conform to what I have as this species.

The photo you show looks a lot like D. madagascariensis in a juvenille form.

Drosera glabripes has a caulescent form, often decumbent with only the top leaves active, the remainder of the elongated stem clothed with the old dry petioles.  In this sense it is somewhat like D. madagascariensis.  It differs from D. collinsiae in the presence of strigose hairs beneath the lamina, attached laterally to one side, parallel to the epidermis.

D. collinsiae is acaulescent, although with upright held petioles and lamina reminiscent of D. nidiformis in form.  The lamina are glabarous beneath. The lamina are more broad than D. nidiformis.  Your photo does not conform to collinsiae as I know it.  This is a very variable species, but your lamina are too spathulate to conform to D. collinisiae.

If your plants begin to ascend, and show the long divided stipules you have D. glabripes.  If the stem elongates and these long stipules are not evident, you probably have D. madagascariensis.  The color reminds me of the "Botswana" material that you once sent to me.

Hi,

Here are two photos of what i have as Drosera collinsiae. I believe these are the true ones.

Drosera collinsiae

Noah, I don't think your picture shows a Drosera collinsiae.

Christian

I agree w/ William that it looks like a D. madagarscariensis.

Here's a picture of my "Botswana" plants back in Sep 2002.

D.madagascariensisSeedlings2.jpg

Here is a photo of what I am growing as Drosera collinsiae.

d_collinsiae.jpg

Hi,

I'm not going to comment on the most current discussion about collinsiae/glabripes, but I just want to comment an earlier post by UtricSeb regarding his D. burkeana. It is possible that you have been PM'd by someone already, but I still want to mention that the plant on your photo does not look like a D. burkeana. Unfortunately mislabeling seem to be rampant when it comes to drosera, and especially the rosetted ones.

Regards,

Christer

The posted examples of D. dielsiana and D. collinsiae conform to what I know as the typical species. I am still betting that the plant in the photo is D. madagascariensis, but I can't make out the stipules in the photo. Time will answer this question for sure.

Hi, here is a plant of mine i think is the real D.burkeana,

what do you all think?

Dburkeana1.jpg

There are several key features to Drosera burkeana that are often overlooked by collectors claiming to have this species in cultivation.  I have found this to be a frequently misidentified species in most collections.  Here is a synopsis of the species which I hope helps you with your plant.

Drosera burkeana has a petiole length which is quite abbreviated.  Laundon, in “Flora of Tropical East Africa” gives the petiole length as 2-20 mm.  Obermeyer, in “Droseracae of Southern Africa” states the petiole is about equal in length to the lamina c. 1 cm.  I believe the short petiole is a very distinctive feature in determining Drosera burkeana.  The petiole is equal sided and straight for its entire length.  In cross section the petiole is round (terete), and somewhat hairy on the upper surface.

Details of the scape include a glandular pubesence over the entire peduncle (“omnia pilosum” per the protolouge).

The leaf is suborbicular, not quite round.  The lower leaf surface is glabarous.

Sepals are irregularly serrated at the top, and glandular.

Flower details are fairly unreliable since the plant has many affinities regarding the styles to other species, and flower color is variable.  

The best diagnostic for determining this species would be the details of seed testa:  seed is 0.2 -0.4 mm long, 0.15 – 0.2 mm broad, oval with slightly pointed ends, shiny, black and smooth, with pits in the seed coat.  Of all these details, the pits in the seed testa are the most conclusive.

Hello,

My Drosera dielsiana flowers at the moment. Here are two photos of the flowers of the plant, you can see in the photo i posted above. It's the big plant on the right hand side.. The flowers have been opened only for about 1 1/2 hrs in the early afternoon.

I removed the photos from my Webaccount! Who wants to see them, can send me an Email. I will send you the pictures then.

Christian

Back