What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting

Okay, now it just occured to me that my seedlings will probubly want more perminent homes soon, what size pot should I be placing them and how many per pot is appropriet.  I have Drosera adelae, and I'm not really surtain if the others are spatulata, anglesa or cape sundews. (I hope I didn't kill the spellings).  I saw these cute little 1 inch pots that seemed nice for very small plants, but they are terricota, not plastic
tounge.gif
 Should I be thinking low flat type of pot or taller for deep roots, I really am un certain as to what one does with young plants, lol.

-Darcie

I use 4 inch pots for all my droserae species. As to how many plants per pot, hmmmm. It varies from species to species. I would say 4-5 rosetted species like spatulata is about top end. D. anglica: I have 3 in one pot, but I think it would be better to go with one or 2. One D. adelae will soon fill a pot. D. capensis one or maybe two. I think the smaller clay pots you mention are not a good plan, one inch is not suitable as the roots of many droserae species will soon outgrow the pot long before maturity, and the clay absorbs salts which are not good for the plants. In my experience, the deeper the pot, the better the plants grow, regardless of species.
Pygmy species in particular want as deep a pot as you can provide. Don't let their small sizes fool you. In habitat these roots can reach a meter in length or more. For many pygmy species, you need to be able to provide moisture to the roots while the medium at the surface stays dry in order to get them through summer dormancy. I grow my D. adelae in an undrained glass bowl. The rounded sides of the bowl encourage the roots to come to the surface where they form plantletts, creating an interesting "mound" of plants. A couple of observations regarding substrate: both D. anglica and adelae (in my conditions) prefer live moss as a substrate, and very wet to sub-aquatic conditions. I mill the live moss in a blender which restricts its rampant growth long enough for the seedlings to establish themselves. Capensis and spatulata I grow in a typical 50/50 peat/sand mix. Capensis in particular has long thick roots which typically reach 6 to 8 inches. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Yes, it is very helpfull. Thanks for clearing that up for me
smile.gif
I usually do a peat mix with LSM on top, hopefully that will be okay cause I don't have a lot of live moss. I'll probubly plant the wet lovers in a terrarium from PFT.com, does that sound okay?

Are you sure you have adelae, and not aliciae? I know I sent you some D. aliciae seeds, so it might be that. If it is the D. aliciae, they can grow fine in small pots, 2" pots can hold a couple plants, even when they are full grown, without any noticiable problems.

Back