What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera alba

I was wondering if anyone is growing this species? I just acquired seed from this South African species, and want to make the most of it. If anyone has hear of anyone else growing this species, I would be interested in an introduction.

i grow this plant . i recieved it ina trade but I can't remeber who i traded with . it is very easy to grow , just the same as the regulare cape sundew except it does'nt need much light .

Goldtrap, I think he's talking about Drosera alba, not Drosera capensis, 'alba' form, lol
biggrin.gif

Yes, Drosera alba is similar to D. cistiflora, and is another African winter grower.  I can't find anyone who has this in cultivation, and I have so few seeds I want to know when is best to sow them.  Guess I will treat them as any other winter growing seed and sow in late summer.  I have a lot of questions regarding the possible and likely need for sun stratification (Africa has lots of sunshine in their summer).

Regarding the Drosera capensis "alba" most people I know call the red pigment free form of D. capensis by this name, but the registered cultivar's name is actually D. capensis 'Albino'.  I doubt that it will ever really catch on, but it would save some confusion if it did :)

I recently answered a post on another forum of someone offering D. alba seed, but it turned out to be D. capensis.  Drosera alba is a  hard to find and difficult species, not easily acquired.  I guess I will have to risk a CP Listserve post (for some reason I always feel stupid asking questions there) to  get some advice.  Someone somewhere must be growing this plant!

Members of the JCPS are growing D. alba. Check out JCPS meeting Pics
Check the 2001.3.11 for a pic of D. alba. They also seem to have this is their seedbank.

Cpk2 thanks for that link, I sure wish there were more photos available.  This is going to be a very difficult species to attempt.  The D. cistiflora on the same page is awesome too!  I suppose the conditions are hard for this plant: a restricted photoperiod, yet with good intense light.  The summer dormancy has me concerned, but right now just learning about when to germinate the seed would be good!  I just learned from another grower that seed not sown fresh often "locks up" requiring much effort to break the inhibitory enzymes locked in the seed coat.  I think I am going to try to sow it now, and if it germinates, then grow it as long as I can with a short day photoperiod in an otherwise blacked out room in the cool cellar.  With luck I will have my HID lighting back soon so the intensity will be there.  I was also told that the key to dormancy is to " dry them out quickly, but not too quickly".  Well.  The opportunity is here, and I am very excited about the attempt.  I am afraid that this might be one of those "learn by your mistakes" type education, but, hey, I'll take it!

Good luck with this plant Tamlin. Keep us informed of your progress so we all learn from your experience.

Well, I have been edited, hee hee. I gotta know" which name did I get wrong? alba? cistaflora? My crown must be weighing on my furrowed brow again.

Tamlin,

Drosera cistiflora not D. cistaflora.
biggrin.gif

PinguiculaMan

I have noticed your precise interpretation of plant naming regulations with interest both here at PFT and at the CPUK Forum. I agree completely with the necessity to spell species names as correctly as possible (we all make mistakes, both with typing and not checking names occasionally), and that the genus name should begin with a capital letter and the specific epithet with a lower case one. However, it's very picky, in my opinion, to pull people up on not using italics for plant names. It's cumbersome to type using the italics button on the various forums, and even the experts at ICPS Carnivorous Plant Database don't use italics (or under-lining) with species names on the Database. It's one thing to get italics right in a scientific journal and quite another in discussion forums. Insistence on adherence to strict nomenclature regulations is only going to put off the majority of young, amateur CP enthusiasts, many of whom are enjoying growing plants and learning about them for the first time.

Cheers

Vic

Hi Vic,

Joseph did correct the typo D. cist_a_flora and didn't ask to write plant names in italics.

I have to admit, I do fully agree with Joseph that writing plant names correct is of importance. The best way is to learn it from the beginning and don't get used to wrong names at all. I do hope, that some day also in other parts of this forum the mods do correct typos in the silent way Joseph does...

Joachim

Thanks for the correction, and I mean that! It is important to get the spelling and capitilization right. Joseph and I have had many discussions on this subject and we both agree that the itallics and underlining is not essential, but that it is desirable to at least know the proper form. We are very lucky to have the services of our "silent editor" to keep us straight and looking intelligent to the rest of the community.

Back