What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera whatchamacallit

I have been around and around with this plant, received as D. natalensis which ID was confirmed by Robert Gibson. It seems very atypical to me if it is D. natalensis (there is only so much to see in a photo without a flower&#33
wink.gif
. Recent photos of Debbert's new species novae D. afra are reminiscent of this plant. I believe other authors lean towards accepting this species novae as a form of D. trinervia. I am burning to ID this plant, if anyone can assist.

Drosera_trinervia_uncertain.jpg

Taking a wild guess here and that Tamlin meant to put this in the Drosera forum.

Tony

Oh what fun. It looks a lot like the plant I had 10 years ago called "sp 8 Borneo", which I thought was decided was spatulata. Just what you wanted to hear, someone chiming in about a plant from a different continent entirely, lol.

Joe

Tamlin,

If that is the D. sp 'Borneo' then the information from Joe is word for word what I have gotten from 3 other sources about my plant.

I vote we register this as a spatulata cultivar: D. 'Mini Me'
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Not to add to the confusion, but a so called "D.venusta" which was sold to me looks very much like that. I have dubbed it "D.venusta-fraud" Who know?

Handsome little critter whatever it is.
smile.gif

I just love a good sundew pic.

Suzanne

Zach,

D. venusta and D. natalensis are considered nearly synonomous by some taxonomists.  Mine came as D. natalensis.  PM me if you are willing to tell me your source.  This plant is a real teaser!

I do not think the plant is D. spatulata (but after the "Tamlinosa" merry go round I will never again be sure I have seen it all regarding the many forms this species has&#33
wink.gif

My plant wasted away to nearly nothing after flowering, and did nothing by way of growth until this winter when I repotted into fresh medium.  The first photo shows the plant springing to life again.  This photo was taken last summer as the plant began to flower.

Drosera_natalensis4r.jpg

Tamlin Dawnstar,

What are those plants around your Drosera? Both of the pictures are terrific. Nicely composed.

Could it be a pauciflora cross ?

I have never grown D. pauciflora, but I have never heard of hybrids. I guess I will have to stay with the D. natalensis determination, but it feels wrong to me. I thought it might be similar to the Debbert species novae, but that seems close to D. trinervia.... I guess this will have to be one of the little mysteries from South Africa. Hmmmm, that sounds like a good cultivar name: Little Mystery :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Back