What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis alba

capensisalba.jpg

That's how my plant looked when I first gotten it.

BTW, the correct name is D. capensis 'Albino'

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Emesis @ April 12 2003,11:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's how my plant looked when I first gotten it.

BTW, the correct name is D. capensis 'Albino'[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
no, I believe it was registered as Drosera capensis 'alba'
confused.gif

I have seen some labeled as "albino" but I use "alba", as a few more people seem to use that.

When in doubt, check the CP Database at http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

The result shows:

N: $[Drosera ' Albino ' {Borret & Farrow}]
P: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)B: R.Borret, Oxford; N.Farrow, Felixstowe, Suffolk, early 1988Nominant: R.Borret & N.FarrowDescription: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)

Note the alba entry below shows nom. nud. or "nomen nudum" (literally "naked name" no description and/or no type), which means it is invalid.

N: ~[Drosera capensis {L.} var.alba {D'Amato}]nom.nud.
P: Savage Garden:129 (1998)S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]

The "alba" name was commonly used in the trading circle, but it is not accepted by the ICPS and the scientific community. It does no't help when many nurseries still sell plants with this bogus name.

Wow, that is pritty one. I can't wait untill mine grow up... anyone know how long they take to reach a decent size from seed?

They grow quickly!

Hello,

It takes roughly a year, sometimes even less, to have a flowering plant of this species. It's one of the fastest growing Drosera and can become a weed, if you don't cut the flowers off. I've already made this experience about 2 years ago. Mine is in flower, so i can maybe post a picture in the next days of the white flower, if anybody is interested in.

Christian

Hi Emesis,

If the registered name is going to be used, shouldn't the species name - capensis - be left out altogether, since the database says only D. 'Albino'?

Personally I will continue to call this form D. capensis "alba" or D. capensis "white flower" though.

Regards,

Christer

Hi Christer,

According to http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3920.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is a common misconception about how much information is needed in specifying a cultivar name. To identify a carnivorous plant cultivar, you must provide the genus name and the cultivar name, in single quotes. That is all. For examples:
Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack'
Utricularia 'Yog-Sothoth'
Pinguicula 'Libelulita'

You can provide species information if you wish, but it is not necessary. On the other hand, it is certainly not prohibited, either. So if you desired, you could write the above list as:
Sarracenia flava x leucophylla 'Adrian Slack'
Utricularia calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'
Pinguicula moranensis 'Libelulita'[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Continuing to name the plant as-is will cause more confusing among others you might introduce the plant to. For instance, what if someone thought D. "alba" and D. 'Albino' are different plants and bought them both, only to find out that they are the same culitvar? What if your friend drops by and likes your D. "alba" plant, and continues that error when he gets one? Like Tamlin said this causes an exponential growth of error.

Hmmm, am I growing mine wrong? I planted them december and it took 3 weeks to sprout. Now they are .5-1cm tall MAX most are still itty bitty. It's funny though, the 'Albino' are growing almost twice as fast as the 'Typicals' and 'Reds'. Tim, I think my seed might be from your plants, do you remember? I had so many people send me seeds at once I got mixed up on who sent what.

Hi Darcie,

3 weeks is not unsual to for the seeds to germinate. As summer is arriving now, your plants should grow better and faster now. If you do not make any bigger mistakes, they will most probably flower this year.

Here is a picture of the flower i took today.

<a href="http://www.utricularia.net/Bilder/d-capensis_f_alba_bluete1.jpg" target="_blank">
d-capensis_f_alba_bluetetn1.jpg

</a>

Christian

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Christian Dietz @ April 14 2003,7:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Darcie,

3 weeks is not unsual to for the seeds to germinate. As summer is arriving now, your plants should grow better and faster now. If you do not make any bigger mistakes, they will most probably flower this year.

Here is a picture of the flower i took today.

d-capensis_f_alba_bluete1.jpg

Higher resoultion : flower

Christian[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What mistake did I make already? I can't see any problem with them except their size. They are well colored (except the red which haven't been under the lights long enough yet), dewy, have room to grow.... Just small.

Hi Darcie,

Maybe you got it wrong, because of my bad english
smile.gif
. It didn't want to say, that you made a mistake. I rather meant, they will grow faster and better now, if you will not make any mistakes.

Christian

Hi Emesis,

Thanks for clarifying that the species name can (or in my view should) be included as well, that makes more sense.

Just for arguments sake, since you brought it up: When it comes to people being disappointed that they might purchase the same plant under different names, then wouldn’t the use of D. 'Albino' be confusing as well, since someone might think that it is not a D. capensis?

I hope you did see that I was careful to include D. capensis with both "my" names, not simply D. "alba" as you wrote.

Tim, sorry for hijacking the thread, that's a fine looking plant you have!

Regards,

Christer

Christer,

Let me try to clarify this more... Both D. 'Albino' and D. capensis 'Albino' are both correct taxonomically. So you can use either one.

I use D. 'Albino' here in the forums, bz I like to type less. However, in my growlist I have it listed as D. capensis 'Albino', so that there is more information associated with it. That way I can go back and track whatever parentage it has.

Another scenerio is that for a cultivar such as P. 'Aphrodite' (whose parents are P. agnata x moctezumae) this gets very lengthy to write P. agnata x moctezumae 'Aphrodite' everytime. Likewise, I include this information in my growlist, but will most likely use the shorter version when communicating.

Part of the reason of having cultivar names is to communicate better, thus the shorter name can be used as well as the longer name.

Hope that helps,

Emesis

Hi Emesis,

Actually, I didn't object (in my second message) that any of the names weren't valid, I rather replied to the part where you wrote that it could cause confusion to the grower. I mean that even if you feel that D. 'Albino' will simplify things, I see this name as confusing to the general public. Personally I hope that people also will include capensis to minimize confusion.

You could say that I'm playing the devil's advocate here, since I want to pin-point that cultivar names could cause problems also (ok, I admit rarely). I have certainly no problems with hybrids with cultivar names, like P. 'Aphrodite'.

Regards,

Christer

The original description for Drosera 'Albino' in the CP Database is thus:</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"After "growing-on" it became obvious that one plant was unusual for it presented a white flower and not the usual pink colour. The plant was propagated further by leaf cuttings and seed and was found to breed "true" (i.e. white flowers were produced). Another and probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun."
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>.

As my white flowered D. capensis, and indeed nearly everyone elses, clearly do have red pigmentation in the tentacles, I'm not sure that they are 'Albino' and will stick to D. capensis var. alba as the name I use.

Vic

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As my white flowered D. capensis, and indeed nearly everyone elses, clearly do have red pigmentation in the tentacles[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Vic,
My white flower D. capensis have no pigmentation in their leaves or tentacles. They are, in fact, all green (with white-ish tentacles) Granted, they are under flourescents, not bright sun. That said, under the same conditions, my typical variety gets a nice reddish hugh, and my seedling all red variety are (most of them) a nice, deep maroon. I do plan on putting most of my capes outside for the summer, so I guess I will have a better idea of pigment/lack there of in my white flower variety when I get them in really strong light.

Take a look at the photo at the start of the thread, there is clear red pigmentation on the tentacles, and P. D'Amato in 'The Savage Garden' mentions 'pale pink glands'. These are not mentioned in the original cultivar description, quite the opposite in fact.

Vic

Back