What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germination in 8 days! Plus questions.

Hi Guys, I sowed some seed of D. binata var dichotoma "Small Red" on June 1 and the germinated yesterday on June 9. Thats the fastest i've ever heard of any sundew germinate, and yes I am sure they are sundews and not seed from some other plant.
wink.gif

Does this variety go through dormancy?
I have 0 experience with sundew dormancy, is it the basically the same as Sarracenia?

BTW, anyone have any photo's of this plant? I've never seen "small red" before.
Thanks! Joe

Excellent.
I don't believe it needs dormancy, although mine stopped growing during winter.  I keep it outside.

Ok, so I was reading Phil's cpfaq and he says they do need dormancy, my bad. That would explain why they stopped growing
wink.gif

i believe this species does need a short winter domancy. Just allot them to go to a cooler location like outdoors or in a cool, dark place. Im not ure about giving seedling palnts a dormancy, but if anyone knows how to dormancy a seedling drosera, let us know!

I pulled out my trusty CP Bible (The Savage Garden) 'cause I know zip about Dews.  It says:  "Dormant in winter, it is tolerant of brief freezes to fifteen degrees, but if the roots freeze completely, you may lose the plant."  It also says the plant spreads into massive clumps.  I'd like to see a picture of that
smile.gif
!!

"Small Red" was introduced by my friend in Australia, glad to see it getting around! I have you beat for germination: Ivan Snyders hybrid rotundifolia "Evergrow" (a tropical strain!&#33
wink.gif
germinated for me in 20 hrs., and he mentioned finding sprouting seed still in the pods!

Regarding dormancy: the plant will go dormant with cold conditions. A cold night will bring on a snap dormancy, but this is not like dormancy in temperate species: the plant will grow fine without any dormancy at all if you can provide warmth year round. Seedlings would do better without dormancy, but if you cant provide warmth in the colder months, reduce watering, but dont let the pot dry out. Keep the substrate moist but not wet.

Ceph88: if you're worried about the seedlings of the tuberous species, try to keep the daylength under 12h. With increasing daylength the trigger for the plant to form ascending stems is initiated, and will eventually lead to dormancy. You don't want them to go dormant at so small a size, there are not reserves enough for them to survive yet I don't think. I have seen even tiny seedlings produce their ascending stems when the daylength gets long enough to mimic summer conditions. They are winter growers, so keep the daylength similar to winter. Many of the Australian species are very much oriented to daylength: pygmies, and petiolaris as well as the tuberous species.

Hmm...it seems the macratnha seedling is getting taller and even slumped over alittle caz it had alot of leaves ontop a tiny stem. Is that the stem you talkn bout? Im letting it ahve 2-3 hours of semi-direct light and its kept damp and very humid. (its in a ziplock bag, semi sealed). I need help. The aurticulata is growing strong, with no stem yet.

Just continue to use the same culture as you have been. If it is forming a stem there is not much to do. If the plant is going to go dormant it will let you know. When it does, allow the pot to dry out slowly so the energy in the stem can be absorbed into the tuber. Keep the medium just barely damp, not even moist if this happens. Try to keep the photoperiod on short day lighting for the one with a basal rosette, and encourage it to stay in growth. Once the stem forms, flowering and dormancy will follow, but it may be able to grow for months which will build the tuber. As I have said before, I have heard that even seedlings may return if they form tiny tubers. The trick is not drying them out too quickly, and to maintain a traceof moisture so the tuber doesn't dry out, especially important if the pots are smaller than full 6 inches. By all accounts, drying of auriculata is not needed, so I would keep this specie moist durig the dormancy. This is all what I have learned from other growers: this is my first season of bringing my plants through dormancy.

Back