What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Most of the time I cut the flower scapes off my d. spathulata but a couple of times I've let one scape grow. It forms lots of pretty pink buds but they have never opened into flowers. I wait a good while but then end up just cutting it off. What would cause the buds not to open? The spath is in a lighted tank about 70-72ºF and 80% humidity. Otherwise it looks happy and healthy. Lots of sparkly dew and red tentacles.

Anyone know?

Suzanne

Hi, I have the same problem too!
sad.gif
But my plants are often dewless after the flowering process.

I think it's the artifical light or the humidity-i mean if ur both experiancing the same problem and u both have your plants in an area of high humidity it could be the humidity. Did u know that in it's natural habitat the flytrap gets close to 100% humidity in the growing season and here in brissie we only get about 50% humidity and my plant is going fine-personly i think u r stressing the humidity factor too much plant a kiss-but the flowers probably need natural sunlight to open as some plants flowers don't even form without the intensity of natural sunlight...i'm not sure this is only my opinion....

Hmmmm...interesting Cindy. Are your plants under artificial light? Since I put my drosera in a tank, they have all seemed pretty happy and are very dewey...even after putting up a flower scape. They have never been dry. But the buds just don't ever open. They look like they'd be pretty if they did...such a bright pink.

Mondo...are you saying you think might be too much humidity? I originally had my sundews outside in a saucer of water (during our humid Virginia summer) and they would be dry as a bone no matter where I placed them (sun, part sun, shade). And indoors is too dry I know. I have only had success keeping them dewey under an enclosed environment. If 100% humidity is typical in their native environment, then how can high humidity be bad for them in an artificial environment? It might be more likely a light issue...maybe the flower buds just don't appreciate artificial light, although they do get sunlight for a brief time in the morning on a sunny day.

My binata flowered when it was in the tank but...different plant.

Thanks y'all.

suzanne

Yup, my plants are under florescent lights. Now I know why the flowers don't open.
sad.gif

My spaths bloomed under lights but they were very close to the lights, only 6" from a 4 bulb shop light, so the blooms were between the bulbs! The flowers only seemed to stay open for a few hours in the late morning so they are easy to miss.

You definetaly have a light problem. The flowers will produce seeds without opening, but if you want to see the flowers either bring the plant up so the flower buds are almost touching the lights or put them outside in the sun. Even then, my capillarises won't open
sad.gif
but most of my sundews open up really easily in the sun.

Noah

P.S. Don't cut off the stalks unless the plants are really small. A normal healthy plant can flower and will reasume normal size and growth habit right after finishing producing seeds. Besides, that way you have seeds to give/trade away.

Salut everyone,
If I remember right, cool white fluorescents are best for foliage growth(eg the sticky leaves of sundews) but not for flowering. It it's flowering you're after, you should add a warm white fluorescent. It's all about what end of the spectrum a different function of a plant needs. I assume you're using cool whites.
Chris

Hmmmm....the spath is VERY close to the light. Perhaps 2 1/2 inches away. The flower stalks end up kinda getting curly cause there isnt room to grow straight up. And I didn't know they will produce seed without the buds having to open.

The lights are two Gro-Lux tubes. When I set up the new 20-gal. tank, I am planning to add another bank of lights and mix the Gro-Lux with 2 cool whites. The lights hang only an inch or so above the top of the tank. I raise or lower plants within the tank (depending on their size) to get them close to the light.

I have another scape unfurling now. The plants are large and healthy so I guess its ok to let it go and try it again.

Thanks Noah and Chris :)

Suzanne

Back