What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera filliformis

Hello,
In November I got a drosera filliformis and a drosera filliformis, 'california sunset', from the petflytrap liquidation sale. I put the filliformis, 'ca sunset' into the fridge for dormancy, but I left out the filliformis ssp filliformis...It didn't grow, just started to die off...(by the way, temps were about 60-70º F.) It kept dying off intill all of the leaves were black, then after another week the leaves fell out of the soil. Well, since I hadn't put it into dormancy, I just thought it went into dormancy by itself, even with the warmer weather...I was right, 1 month ago I saw new leaves coming out of the soil! now there are about 6 leaves still uncurling. My question is, Has Drosera filliformis ever gone through dormancy even in warm weather and full sun? Is it natural for filliformis to do this? Can other Drosera do this? Thanks in advance,
-Spec
smile.gif

Yeah, the photoperiod controls it. Mine (D. filiformis tracyi) will go into dormancy fine on a windowsill that is around 70 f, and I just move it to a cooler windowsill (around 50 f), where it still gets natural light all winter. I don't know if other Drosera are that tolerant though, I suspect more northern species probably wouldn't be.

I think I could share some of my own experiences regarding this topic, living just a couple of degrees off the equator in Singapore.

I have quite a few colonies of D.filiformis ssp. filiformis that had been growing actively for me for the last 3 years, but just last year ALL of them produced hibernacula in this horridly hot and humid weather. Photoperiod here remains the same year-round, but we do get the occasional monsoon season where the sky will be overcast for days on end.

I left most of the hibernacula alone, and ziploc-ed 4 of them to banish them to the fridge for 2 months. All of them (including the regridgerated ones) came out of dormancy successfully and are now growing.

The most intruiging part is, none of them has ever flowered for me.

The other exceptions regarding dormancy I've experienced are those of S.leucophylla. It also goes into dormancy on its own in our weather, and resumes growth after several months.

Best regards,
Hong Yee

I have a plant of the 'red' form i am growing from seed sown on July 2002. It has been growing good since it germinated without ever going into dormancy and it is now flowering.

I also have tropical conditions as i live in Colombia in South America.

That is good advice from Hong Yee and Utric. I have some myself, and what you say is a relief.

Tell me, can you take leaf cuttings of this plant? If so, how?

Hi Tim,

Sure you can do leaf cuttings! I've gotten multiple plants per cutting by just cutting out a section of a mature leaf and placing it horizontally on pure peat. In my community tub containing only 100% live sphagnum, what happens is that as the sphagnum grows and covers the bottom-most leaves, new plants tend to sprout. I've lent out my digicam to a friend, but once I get it back next week I'll see if I can take a photo of the cuttings that have struck.

In any case, even if the leaf cuttings do not work, the plants grow quickly enough to produce lateral crowns and you can divide these to form large plants.

Wish I could find some way of making them flower though!~

Regards,
Hong Yee

In the meantime, just a shot of D.filiformis ssp. filiformis in action! I don't suppose you have mosquito problems over there, but these babies are loaded with mosquitoes, gnats and midges every week.

filiformisCU.JPG

Back