What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamlin Dawnstar...

One thing: THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH FOR THE SEEDS!!!! (i've been secretly wishing for dichotoma, but not ever expressing my small liking for the unfurling of two letal javelins on the end of a flag pole. Heee)

Um, my questions are...

Do I haev to stratify the seeds, and how?

Do those peat pellets work for these seeds? If you dont know what the peat pellets are, imagine pure peat moss, in a fine mesh of netting, to keep it standing upright, in a cylindrical fashion... so pure peat...

That is all, and once again, thanks soooo much!!! I really appreciate this!

Ditto on the thanks... I'll be watching daily for germination.
wink.gif

I am glad that you like the seed. The seed has been stratified in my fridge, so it is ready to sow. Regarding the peat pots, I have no experience with them. what you do want is a fairly loose medium for the small roots to penetrate, which is why I recommend peat/silica sand 50/50. If you plan on transplanting after the seedlings develop a little, then pure peat is an option, as is milled dead sphagnum moss. Both these substrates has natural antiseptic qualities, and they also discourage fungus and algae. Algae can interfere with germination, and competes with the seedlings. You should however aim at getting them into their permanent homes in a good 50/50 mix as stated after they form 4-5 leaves. Remember to be patient: this seed can take awhile to germinate, usually in about a month you should see some results. Don't water or spray from the top as this can bury the seed. Give it warmth, but light levels should not be high until there is germination: ltoo much light will support algal growth. Check the pots weekly, and when you can see germination, move the pots into good bright light, no direct sun. Humidity should be reduced in stages, slowly, after germination. If the pots are in baggies, poke a hole or two after you are sure all the seed has germinated. Then in a week a couple of more. Ideally you will be able to do away with the cover in a month or so. Be attentive to what the seedlings tell you, but expect some to die off in the process. The survivors will be adapted to harsher conditions, and will be healthier than plants grown in too high a humidity. 70% is about ideal for these plants. It is fascinating to watch the growth process, and I consider growing from seed to be one of the finest aspects of this hobby. Enjoy!

Tamlin

If i cant find silica sand, could i use a 50:50 mix of peat and perlite?

This will work. A good source for silica sand are businesses that sell swimming pool supplies: silica sand is used in pool filters. Buisnesses selling construction supplies have sand used in sandblasting, this is also silica sand.

Back