What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First sundew

I bought a Sundew today, I am not very familiar (spelling?) with them.  It came with a plastic cover on it, an it appears to be flowering, there is a 2 and a half inch stalk coming up out of the middle of it.  Should I cut this off?  I have lots of VFT's and Sars. so I know what they like, distilled water and such, I am just clueless on the sundew though.  How much sun does it need?  How much water?  Thanks for the help, I need it. I got it from Franks nursery.

It depends on the vigor of your plant: if weakly growing and etiolated cut it off. Flowering does set the plants back a bit. With healthy plants this is not an issue.

Your Drosera should be fine in similar conditions to the VFT's depending on the species. Can you describe the leaves?

Adelae is more sensitive to lower humidity and is best in a terrarium. Most of the other commonly cultivated species marketed can be grown outdoors with 50% humidity or better, or under 2 40 watt flourescent bulbs at a distance of about 5 inches.

Congratulations on your plant. Droserae are the jewels of the CP world!

The leves are kind of wide and rounded on the end, the plant seems to be growing more vertically with horizontal leaves, and light green in color.

The most commonly sold species would be Drosera spatulata I think, but irregardless of what it is, it probably is not adelae and should be able to tolerate less than 100% humidity. The pale green color suggests it was grown in insufficient light, so if you plan on putting it outdoors, you will need to do so in gradual stages, so the plant does not sunburn. Treat it as you would yourself if you were going out in the summer sun milk white: an hour of direct sun would turn you lobster red, and it will fry your plant. Try for broken sun in the morning or late afternoon, keep it tray watered. In a week, increase the amount of sun, and so on. Once the plant has hardened, it should be able to take full sun for most of the day, same as the VFT. It will do good in a terrarium as well as described below.

Back