What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy for capensis,alicea,adelea?

CAPENSIS, ALICIAE, ADELAE, DO THEY GO DORMANT?
THANKS
SPECTABILIS73
biggrin.gif

No, none of them go dormant. Depending on photoperiod and temperature, they may slow growth, but none requires much of a change in conditions. Aliciae and capensis naturally have slightly lower winter temperature, but they are subtropical, and definitely shouldn't be allowed to go below freezing (and can grow without much of a change in temperature).

Thanks.

I'm glad they don't go dormant.I like year-round plants
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 27 2002,12:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks.

I'm glad they don't go  dormant.I like year-round plants

biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
yah, the frige can get pritty full very fast if you don't watch that lol!

Hi Spectabilis,

Drosera adelae (and another Queensland native, schizandra, for that matter) can often appear to die but usually come back from the roots. The same can be said for capensis as I have seen it do this in a friends collection. Many Drosera can die back to their roots. Some do it under normal circumstances (consdered dormancy), others do it when conditions are unfavorable.

I feel the same about year-round plants. It's a real drag waiting many months for some plant to pop up again, especially when you're not sure if it's still alive!
sad.gif

SundewMatt

I agree year round plants are better...not saying "better" as in plants but better as taking care of.

travis
wink.gif

Back