What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the heck is it?

OK this is making me angry! Something has been snacking on things in my terrerium, but I have not seen it. My auriculata seedlings have been loosing leaves-- they arn't dying: they have been clipped off. It is a clean cut. A nidiformis leaf that I was using for a leaf cutting was cut in half while on the substrate, and part of the mid section was eaten. I did'nt think it was that important to ask on the forums until today, when I found my burmannii flower stalk on the soil, due to half of its side being eaten. I think it may be related to the beetle I saw on my spatulata flower stalk, but am unsure. If anybody knows what the heck it is, I sure would like to know so that my plants can have their revenge.

Could be beetle grubs, moth or butterfly caterpillars.  Once had something snacking on my Peperonium (sp?).  Couldn't see it, but late at night when everyone else was in bed, I could hear this crunch, crunch, crunch.  Like someone was hiding in my plants eating celery.  I kept finding stems cut in two but never caught the culprit until a couple weeks later when I had two moths fluttering in my window trying to get out
mad.gif

alien.gif

I periodically have similar experiences. Very close inspection often reveals an almost invisible caterpillar, or a slug. Look for any evidence of bug poop (technical terminology), or a slime trail.

try flooding your plant pots in a dish just as tall as the pot , i've found that small millapeed's live in the soil of the plant without ever makeing themselves know'n untill i peireodicaly flood the pots .

sorry i'm a verry bad speller hopefully my spelling of millapede is close enough .

p.s.

Bob i loved that scientific description of bug poop was a good one heh heh

Chomp,
I'm pretty sure millapeeds are hunters, not grazers... I could be wrong about that....but it does sound like some sort of pest that burries itself durring the day so you can't find it. Every look in the terrarium at night with a flashlight?

your thinking of Centipeeds .
they hunt other bugs , hence the bite of some Centipeeds are poisunus .
go to a pet shop, they have the giant millapeeds for sale .
they eat cabage and other plants , they are herbatius (if thats a word ).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chomperDaSk8rPunk @ May 14 2003,2:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">your thinking of Centipeeds .
they hunt other bugs , hence the bite of some  Centipeeds are poisunus .
go to a pet shop, they have the giant millapeeds for sale .
they eat cabage  and other plants , they are herbatius (if thats a word ).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Herbavorus
wink.gif

Right. Oops. And I think it's "herbivorous."

Well, its all coming together! It wasn't a small catipillar, or a millipede or anything else you would guess. This morning, I checked my terrerium, low and behold, a humongo cockroach. And the other thing is, the little bugger saw he was in trouble, so he ducked for cover in a burrow he dug. Well, I got some small scissors, and got rid of him. I will let your imagination fill in the rest. I think there may have been an egg case that was in the peat moss from leaving it outside, or he may have crawled in. But I hope that is the last of his kind.

Back