What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemene

Hi
i have herd about gemene in books and stuff and have gotten a few from the good people here(but i couldn't gt them to grow) and i was owndering when are most drosera gemene ready to plant
also where would be a good place to get some or if you guys had some extra i might be able to get
anyways
LMK
enoc22

You mean "gemmae", right? If so, I would recommend just placing them on the surface of a mixture 2/3 silica sand & 1/3 peat. Keep the soil wet via the tray method, AND keep the temps as cool as you can for indoors. Also, lower the photoperiod to 9 hours or so to simulate the winter growing period.

If I get a lot of gemmae this season, I'll let you know so I can send you some.

hope this helps,
Homer

yeh
thats what i meant
theres a big silica sand mine about 5 minutes from my house so i can just go there and get as much as i want

yes please let me know when you have some extra's they would be greatly apreciated

LMK
Oliver

Gemmae are easy to germinate for me....maybe it's the frequent misting? Anywho, I use a 50/50 mix of peat and silica sand (a little more sand to feel). When it looks pinebarreney (word?) if you've been to pine barrens before, you'll know it's ready for planting/sowing/growing.

Pygmies do not like hot and humid conditions. They need cool conditions at night.

Need cool night conditions? That's why I blew it last time! DOH! Live and learn.

By the way, can you use perlite instead of sand? I find it more readily available, and the sand I have isn't very cource....

or is the relatively fine sand ok?
confused.gif

Back