What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundews in a "long" tank

Sundew newbie (sundewbie?) in need of advice.  Thanks in advance.

I am using a "long" 20-gallon tank for my terrarium, which means that it is about a foot or so tall.  I thought I was being very clever, as this would provide better light intensity and more room for pots.  I did not consider height.

What sundews, assuming a 4 inch tall pot and thus 8 inch clearance, will grow properly in this tank?  I don't want them flattening out across the plexiglas top and burning out from the lights.  I was hoping to maintain them year-round at about 80 F and 75% or so humidity, unless that's wrong, of course.

I could shorten the pots.  I was considering playing up the glass rectangle of the terrarium by using squarish, colored glass "pots" of various heights and widths (or a drinks tray and plastic cups--sundew juleps!) for the plants.  I could get them down to 3 inches this way.

Thanks again.  If you want to vote between the designs, please do.  I will post pictures after the plants have established themselves.

--Steve

(Edited by steveo at 8:14 pm on April 25, 2002)

Steve,

I like the idea of square, coloured pots.

As for which types, I think your best bet would be rosette types, su b-topicals and such. If you want some up-right types I would recommend indica as it isn't too tall, adelae and the other Queensland sundews would probably work too. You might be able to do some pygmies as well if you can get them close enough to the light, although most don't do too well in terraria.

If you don't think there are enough Drosera out there you could suppliment with Mexi-Pings. Might be an interesting variety.

Pyro

Hi steveo,

I grow many droserae and pinguicula in 2 20 gallon long aquariums. Easy to grow droserae that will work well in a 20 gallon long aquarium with the conditions described by you include:
D.capensis 'typical or wide leaf', 'narrow', 'alba', or 'all red'
D.capillaris
D.spathulata and its many forms to choose from
D.aliciae
D.adelae-will cover a pot quickly! Beautiful plants
D.venusta, natalensis
D.dielsiana
D.burmanni
D.madagascariensis

All will fit well inside the twenty gallon terrarium.

If the temperatures are maintained at 80F year-round, pygmy droserae may not fair too well. They can grow well with temperatures in the 80's if they have cooler nights in the 50's or lower 60's.

seems to me all rossetted and sub tropical/tropical drosera will work, even cape sundews will work..but the flower stalks...the flower stalks! Capeys have tall @&#36&#36 ones, but most rossetted sundews dont, so theyre cool for the tank. i have a 20 gallon long..but my milksnake is in it
smile.gif
. i use ten gallon and 5 gallons. good luck-Zach
>MORE
Heres a list of plants i belive you can work with:

D.adelae
D.alicaie
D.spahtulata
D.natalensis
D.capensis (small plants with no flowers)
D.hamiltonii
D.schizandra
D.proliera
Alot more..use ur imagination!

I have a 20-gal. long (new!) as well as other tanks and I get glass strips cut to use as shelving which can be raised or lowered to accommodate plant lighting needs and height. Has worked well for me. I have a variety of tropical rosetted and temperate and even my lovely byblis in a tank.

BTW...I love "sundewbie". lol

Suzanne

Thanks again, everyone.

This forum is a godsend--the people in it are, anyway.

I will try the squarish containers, if I can find them. Otherwise, it'll be cups or something else.

--Steve

The only problem that I can see you having is that some
of the flower stalks will grow taller than the height of the tank.

Opps, ceph88 already covered that...

(Edited by Emesis at 7:21 am on April 26, 2002)

Schizandra and prolifera might not do well if the light is too strong, I recommend either growing these off to the side if possible. The best specimens I've seen of these were growing off in a corner, away from direct light. Anyone have excellent luck with either of these 2 giving them strong light?

Regarding colored pots, I use green pots but would prefer white pots since they will reflect more light. Anyone know of a good source for a variety of sizes of square white pots?

I have never seen square white pots for sale, but see them fairly often at nurseries/greenhouses with plants in them. So somebody has to supply the growers with this type of pot. Perhaps if you could find a nursery supplier they might have them. Or maybe you could get a greenhouse to special order some for you. They would be nice to have.

Suzanne

I used to get small ones locally but cant find them anymore. I called a couple pot manufacturers and they don't have them. I've seen translucent ones for orchids (which I think are cool because you can check root development) but I dont think they would be good for Drosera since they probably don't like light on their roots...Matt

Schizandra and prolifera definitely want lower light and cooler growing conditions, and respond best for me at least in these conditions. You can also include adelae on that list. The Queensland Sisters hate sunlight and heat.

Well, my plants are doing OK.

I have two adelae, one went into the bathroom behind a frosted, southern-facing window, and seems to be doing OK there. The other is in the tank and looks to be OK with it. I removed the reflective bottom to reduce some of the intensity. The rest of the dews (a spath, a capensis, and something else) are "dewing" OK. One is flowering.

As to pots, I am manufacturing my own by using Pronto clay and several coats of acrylic sealant. The clay takes a long time to dry, but since I don't have a kiln...

--Steve

Back