What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed harvest

There are several long spikes off my Drosera Spathulata sundew with little flowers that I never see bloom. Will these ever turn into usable seeds? Do the flowers need to be pollinated? The plant hasn't been around others for around 6 months.

What do I do to get seeds? Do I have to let them dry or anything? Are there planting/germinating instructions?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Its Drosera Spathulata Parasuco..... The flowers don't have to be pollinated to set seed. When the flowrs that you never see open close, they should pollinate themselves.

But if they actually dont open, theres only a slim chance of seed. This happed for my rotundifolia...

Sorry, I didnt see the sub title...
wink.gif

Your chances are much higher though with Drosera Spathulata though.

in my experince even when the flowers dont open, they still set seed. You cant really see the flowers open cuz they open around noon/mid day, so if you dont stand around a flower all day, chances are you wont see it open. Once all the flwers have bloomed and are turning brown and the stalk is turing a lil brown, cut the stalk and shake the flwoers over a piece of paper. You will see small black seeds. store cool in a refirge.

id like to get a collection of various seeds,know anyone that would send me some for free or postage?

Back