What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White slivers on my cape sundew

I bought a Cape Sundew (sold as "Octopus Plant") but when I got it home I noticed it has little white slivers that don't move on the non-hairy sections of the leafs. I am assuming this is soem sort of insect so I am keeping it in my windowsill and not in the terrrariu with other plants. WHat I'm wondering is how do I get rid of these things? I tried using a forceps to pull em off but they are very tiny and almost impossible to get ahold of being only 1/32 or 1/16th of an inch in size but they are shaped just like this: - and are getting more in number everytime I go to water the sundews tray.

Any help would be much appreciated!
smile.gif

They might be tiny little whight flies. They won't really hurt, but they get anoying so just take a pinguicula and they will catch alot of them.

Kevin

There is a chemical at my garden shop to take care of whiteflies but I don't care for the idea of using the chemicals on my plants. Is it possible to put a piece of dog & cat flea collar in the Cape sundews tray and have that combat the whitefly? I thought I read this in one of my CP books but can't remember which one...
All my pings melted down a few weeks ago mysteriously. Perhaps the terrarium gets too hot in that part of the house. All my other CPs (in other parts of the house) are doing great but in that terrarium all the CPs died in the space of a week-turned into piles of black mush. That was my only ping place, I lost a big flytrap, a huge P.vulgaris (5" across&#33
wink.gif
and 3 large P.primulifolia (and about 100 small primulifolia plantlets on old leaves-all winter this terrarium was like a ping facotory and I harvested tons of small primulifolias). But I think it was when the heat wave hit Minn. that I woke up to find the CPs in that tank wiped out or on their way to the big pot in the sky.
sad.gif

I've read this a lot of times at this site. That you can submerge the entire plant in submerged water for a day. I have not tried it myself because I found the bugs to be harmless gnats but they say it will not harm the plant. Hope that helps. Shauntell

If you go with the flea collar, be sure it doesn't touch the plant, it's soil, or water tray it's sitting in. You need the collar and plant close together. This can be done by putting them together in a plastic bag.

Back