What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capillaris and d. adelae

I cant find any info at all on capillaris and not much on adelae. What one would do better in my 20 gal tank set up with my cape sundews. I keep the temps at 50f max for a low and around 82-90f once the lights pop on. I am not sure on the RH in the air but being I live in a dry state(Arizona) I dont think its high even in my tank with a lid on two 3rds.I have a 32 watt fish tank light and a shop light with 2 cool white 40watt bulbs in it with that I have a warm white CF that is 42 watts. My cape sundews are really doing well and id like to add another sundew with it. I am new when it comes to sundews so Id like to not get something to hard to grow .The only info I found on the adelae is it dose good in bathrooms and low light ? Is this right?

Any info you can give on them would be helpful.

Thanks

_-West-_

Both species should grow under the same conditions as your capensis.

Opinions differ as to adelae's need for low light, cool temperatures, and high humidity. In the above conditions, this species grows quickly, is loaded with dew, and stays green with red glands. I have a friend in Brasil who grows his in full sun, and several forum members I know have grown theirs in similar fashion. In full sun the plant gets deep brown/purple leaves, often with less dew. The color is a good indicator of how the plant was grown. If it was grown "soft" (as in a terrarium) great care must be taken to slowly acclimate the plant to harsher conditions, but like many other droserae, they will adapt in time. I have some growing now as house plants, even with the forced air heat running, and I doubt the humidity is 40% in here now. I think you will be fine keeping them as stated, even in Arizona!

Drosera capillaris can be a little trickier than capensis or adelae. In habitat the plants often experience a summer dormancy in response to decreased moisture and increased heat, returning from the roots at summer's end. I keep my plants cool and wet and have never had them go dormant. I find the upright Southern U.S. form to be the easiest, and it is very beautiful. I have had capillaris literally flower themselves to death in cultivation.

If you grow one of each, you will have an international collection. D. capensis is a South African, D. adelae is from Australia, and D. capillaris is (most likely) from the good old U.S.A.

Thanks for the info Tamlin . Its very helpful .

Thanks

_-West-_

I just made a order from this site for Drosera spathulata will that allso do good in my set up ? Dose it need dormancy next year
confused.gif

_-West-_

Spathulata doesnt need a dormancy, so as far as that goes, It would probably get along well with the others.
smile.gif

Cole

I keep all the above plants in the same terrarium with my Heliamphora, cephs, etc. I keep the humdity about 60%, but capensis and spathulata and capillaries can do great on a windowsill. None require a dormancy, even though capillaries is considered an annual. I keep my D.capillaries 'alba' moist year round and i have had them for about 2 years. Good luck

Back