What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upcoming Drosera mass giveaway

What a BEAUTIFUL day it is, and to celebrate the beginning of  another growing season, I will shortly be posting a HUGE assortment of Drosera species that I hope to offer you all for my usual price: your thanks, or an optional donation.  I believe I will have around 20-30 species to offer this year, thanks to the continued generosity of the worldwide community.  This includes some rare species which I have managed to secure from various Botanical Gardens throughout the world, and beautiful plants from seed sent to me from the far distant corners of the Earth for my seed testa project.  I have said before that I want everyone to have what I have, and that what goes around comes around.  It is about to come around to YOU.  

I regret that this offer can only be for those in the U.S.A. If donations support international shipping, this might change.  I hope so.

I don't know how long I can continue to ship.  That will depend on the generosity of forum members.  I will send out plants until I am broke, lol, and with my income that won't take long.  I have been kicking around the idea of trying to sell them privately, but have since abandoned this concept.  I can't sell plants to my friends, and well, you are all my friends!

This is going to be my little way of showing my appreciation for all the awesome gestures of generous sharing that has been afforded to me.  If I have said to you "I want to send you a box of plants" now would probably be a good time to let me know :), but please, email me at tamlindd@yahoo.com!

Expect the post in about 2 weeks on the Trade Forum.  Let's work together to flood the world with plants and Joy, and celebrate the gifts of friendship and sharing that is what these Forums are about.

Does this sound ok?

Drosera+palacaea+var.+roseana+sept.+2002r.jpg

sound ok? Sound ok? of course its ok. Its fantastic!
biggrin.gif

I cant believe how much generosity comes from you.
There is no doubt about it. You are the most jenerous man in the world. If there were an award of such this you would get it, no doubt about that. I will be looking forward to this post.

Thank You!
Mike

Yeah Tamlin.  I agree that this should definately be by far more than 'ok'.  
wink.gif
 It's like christmas with a different tree everyday for a month.  
tounge.gif

And i'm sure that there is an award out there somewhere that he will get one day.  If it doesn't show up and present itself, i'll hunt it down and bring it to him.  
wink.gif

Btw, Tamlin, what's that D. palacaea var.roseana growing in? Is that a layer of sand underneath or something else?

ok, ok, knock off the gushing all I am doing is sending some bits of this and that to my friends. Let's save the statue for Phill Mann, hey?

The plant is growing in a 70/30 silica sand/peat mix, with a bit extra sand on top. Not 100% sure positive of the ID though, but it's my best guess.

Please folks, don't PM me on this, my mailbox gets stuffed. There will be no reservations accepted. Details will be posted at the trade forum soon. If you have comments or suggestions, post to this thread please.

Hmm, I need to find some sand around here. All I have is some slightly dirty looking hoffman's "Western Desert Sand". I end up using mostly perlite with peat.

Tamlin,

Great job again! You are a very generous person
smile.gif

I have always wondered about spreading white silica sand on top of a compost to increase the reflectiveness of light.

Regards,

Joe

Vertigo,

Try swimming pool supply dealers: silica sand is used in pool filters - an excellent grade of coarse sand. I get it for 8.00/50 lb bag.

I'll check that out Tamlin. Thanks, that's a really good price.

Oh cool, maybe I can find some sand now.

Wow William, you're giving away plants for free, with no shipping? You definately are my nonomee (sp?) for most generous man in the world!
biggrin.gif
and if you don't mind me asking, how are you going to ship peteolaris drosera? (if you give away peteolaris)
-Spec
smile.gif

Spec,

It will be up to the individual generosity of forum members as to how long this will go. If I have to pay all the shipping, it isn't going to go far. Donations will keep the ball rolling. It is not up to me to say "How much" per plant, and I'm not going to. I like to think of it like this, Your plants are free, and the money you send will "purchase" the plants for the next guy, who may not be as flush as you. Generosity has to be a personal thing, it can't be required. I believe that I can count on the generosity of friends to make this work in a way far better than if tried to sell the material, and use the proceeds to continue my efforts. Time will tell if this is true or not.

Sorry to disappoint regarding the petiolaris, but I lost most of my plants in the winter freeze that decimated my collection. Although I have a great quantity of plants to offer, these plants will not be among them. Perhaps next season if I can manage to get more of them and have a little success in reproducing them this will be possible, but right now I am looking myself.

Tamlin,

I must echo that you are most generous. I hope that your collection won't shrink too much despite your situation.

BTW, is that "D. palacaea var. roseana" plant the same as the D. C-1 gemmae you sent out?

Also, do you rinse your silca sand before use? Thanks.

Best regards,

A.Y.

Tamlin, you rock!
I just procured myself a new tank....I'm going to keep my eye's peeled in the trading forum...

Emesis,
Lol, my collection is growing by leaps and bounds and I need the space for the 30 pots of sown seed I have started.  Next year or so will see me providing some of the hard to find Brasillian species.  I just sowed:

Drosera montana var. tomentosa, Botumirim, Minas Gerais State, Brazil
Drosera graminifolia, Itacambira, Minas Gerais State, Brazil
Drosera graomogolensis, Itacambira, Minas Gerais State, Brazil
Drosera “sp “Emas” Itacambira
Drosera capillaris “Praia Do Imbe Rio Grande Do Sul Brazil”
Drosera chysolepsis Serra do Cipo, Brazil  
Drosera graminifolia  “Caracca”
Drosera montana var. tomentosa Morro do Jambeiro, Grão Mogol, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Drosera villosa var ascendens
Drosera sessilifolia

so you can see, there are good things coming in a season or two.  I am particularly interested in finding good homes for this material when it is ready to be given away. These species are rather difficult to obtain and usually expensive when they are obtainable at all, so this is an area of cultivation that needs all our attention.

And yes, I always rinse the sand to get the TDS down before using it.

Sweet! ...and thanks! *wipes tear* amazing how you can have such good friends and never meet them. I meet this guy on the internet on an rc airplane forum. I helped him build a Zagi 400. I scanned in my instructions with written notes that made it easy for me to understand. we have talked for about 2 years now. as fate would have it, his dad lives here in Tucson. and is getting married on the 12th of this month. so he is in town. he came over yesterday for a while. we had dinner talked and he gave me a web site. on his own personal server in his living room in Texas. I now have available to me 80 gigabits (&#33
wink.gif
of storage. (that is 80,000 megabits!&#33
wink.gif
so my page that I just started ( http://mywebpages.comcast.net/adnedarn/) will probably be forwarded to my new site once I get it started. (bobz I know you are linking to my page for quite a few things ( :-D) so I will let you know when the links change) just something I thought I would share. ...long live friends and shall friends live long!
Later,

I want a D. tamlinosa...  ;-)

Tamlin,

This is not a request for a reservation, but would it assist you if the donations were sent early. As earlier stated I think it is wonderful that you are trying to share with the world. It would be great if you could send abroad. If it would assist I could send a DONATION this week, else I will wait.

Back