What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelae dew problems

My young adelae just wasn't getting dew, I put it in a cramped ziplock bag with some superthrive water to make the humidity go to the max, but the dew drops are still TINY! Any suggestions for dew growing?

i've always had porblems growing this sunew considering it was easy , it neevr maded ews no matter how much humity i gave it and they died later . one thing you should know is that they don't like fertilizer so superthrive is a big no no .

For me, they seem to like long fiber sphagnum moss. I tried planting some in a 50:50 sand/peat mix and they are struggling. The ones in a terrarium produce more dew than the ones just grown under lights. Both sit in a tray of water.

Sometimes after transplanting, the main plant just croaks - but then I get maybe 5 or 6 young plantlets that spring up near the perimeter of the pot.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

Yea, I have my last branch of the Adelae from thee original adelae that I bought from pft three years back. Thee unfortunate part is it looks like the Grim Reaper is ready to take a hold of it.
sad.gif

Travis

I thought superthrive wasn't a fertilizer? I hope it isn't because I used it on my adelae. It seems ok, but it still doesn't have much dew. Does a sundew just need a lot of humidity and water to form dew?

Ohhh.....don't put anything fretilizer related on Adelae.......it will just fry....you should get the Savage Garden by that Peter Da'Mato....it is the best and it adresses such issues......

Superthrive is not a fertilizer although I believe the directions call for it to be mixed with fertilizer for best results (for non-CPs of course). Its a mix of vitamins and hormones.  D. adelae does seem to grow better in pure sphagnum moss (at least for me) and kept very wet.  They do like high humidity--mine are in terrariums where the humidity is highest.  They also like lower light than most sundews.

If your plant dies, don't throw it away.  Keep it wet and under normal conditions and it will probably make babies.  They reproduce nicely from roots.

By the way, it would help in troubleshooting if you could provide some information about how you were growing it pre-baggie. Soil, lighting, humidity, water, temps, etc. Its hard to diagnose a problem without the details...sorta like going to a Dr. and saying "I'm sick" but not giving the symptoms.

Keep trying...mine didn't do well at first but now they grow just fine.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

Although generally Drosera do not require extremely high humidity to produce their typical dew, this is one species which prospers under dim and very humid conditions. I prefer the use of live moss, and grow mine in a shallow undrained glass bowl. This encourages the roots to reach the surface where they form abundant offsets. The moss grows in a mound, and the individual new rosettes poke out of it. As the moss grows, so grow the plants. I refill the bowl as soon as any drying of the moss is noted so it stays quite wet.

Although the plant will grow in other conditions with some care to acclimization, I have never found that it grows as well as via this method. I have seen better colored plants grown in full sun, and this is worth trying for if you have a surplus of plants. It takes a bit of attention to get tthe plant to where it can grow outside a terrarium, but it is possible.

Back