What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamiltonii & capillaries

Both these species do not require dormancy. However, they do appreciate a change in temp. and photoperiod for summer/winter.

D. capillaris is in the Florida Panhandle isn't it? And it gets chiily down thee once in a while. Doesn't it go dormant?

D.capillaris often dies from the cold in its habitat, growing back from seed year after year. It is an annual/biannual in cultivation.

SO you classify that as a tropical as you can grow it year round as it dies off anyway right?

They are semi tropical, they are found throughout the eastern US, both north and south. Mine have gotten light freezes and are doing fine, they generally seed profusely , especially during the spring, flowering all year. Great all-around plant.

Noah

Thanks Noah. I should look into this plant. It sounds nice and easy to reproduce.

Email or message me if you'd like some. I have extras.

Noah

Yeah sure! Once I get a greenhouse up this spring and I have extra room. Right now I am packed to the maximium and have room for only 2 Nepenthes coming in the mail soon. N.Rajah and N.Madgascariensis. Then I really and booked FULL! But sure I would much like some. But wait for me to get some more room. I will keep you in mind when I want them. Nep.G.

Drosera capillaris is also known to experience a summer dormancy if the conditions dry out in its habitat, so keep it good and moist if the temps. get high.

Back