What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis "alba"

I picked up a couple of these in Montreal and when I got them they were almost white with dew. Does anyone know if these are cold sensitive like D. filiformis red.

Hmm..alba for me? Do you mean the ones with clear dew? I have one like that. Just treat it as a regualr temperate drosera (filiformis). Im not sure about the dor,mancy or cold harddyness, cuz mine arre in a potted terrarium waiting for dormancy this year! (got them 3 months ago from Jim).

If your plants are Drosera filiformis var. tracyi they require a dormancy as they are a temperate species. Give them conditions similar to Sarracenia and Dionaea: 3 months cold, with reduced moisture after they have formed their hibernacula. There is no recognized "alba" for this species. Filiformis var. filiformis have red glands. The filiformis var tracyi are larger growing, with thicker leaves, and have no red glands. To my knowledge, no filiformis other than (possibly) filiformis red are adversely affected by cold. Just wait and see if they make resting buds, which should happen when the daylength gets shorter in the fall.

Back