What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing d. intermedia for the first time

I got some D. Intermedia Cuba form seeds today. I think people wanted me to have something other than VFTs. heh

Ok, from what I've read I do not need to stratify them. I was going to take a drinking cup, poke some holes in the bottom and filll it mix with a 50/50 peat/perlite mix, leaving a thin layer of peat at the top. I then plan to have it absorb some distilled water till it is nice and moist. I will throw the cup into a microwave and nuke it to kill anything living in the soil.

Then I plan to sprinkle a couple seeds on top of soil and put a clear plastic hood over it and set it underneath my flourescent light fixture which is on a timer.

Is this correct or am I way off the ball?
confused.gif

hmm, i always thought intermedia needed stratification
confused.gif
? i don't know about the soil mix (i just use sphagnum and peat moss) but everything else seems ok. careful to wait till the microwaved soil is cool befor sowing
wink.gif
. Zongyi

D. Intermedia (Cuba) doesn't need stratification.

Everything else sounds correct.

I concur with Lenny. Nothing that would grow in Cuba would ever get cold enough so as to require stratification. The mix sounds fine. I use peat/sand myself but perlite is just as good. The seed should germinate well under the lights.

Sean.

Ok, I cleaned out a little plastic tub, poked some holes in the bottom. Did everything I said above and made sure the soil was thoroughly soaked.

I didn't realize how tiny the seeds are, and I thought the VFT seeds were small! I either sowed the seeds or put dust on top of the soil. I guess the only thing left to do is wait..and wait some more!

Wow, that was quick. I looked over my tub today and saw a couple green sprouts! Yey for me!
biggrin.gif

Congrats! My D. Intermedia 'Cuba' are about 6 months old and 1 inch across. They have already flowered!!

SF

Back