What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil too wet?

Hello. I am new to carnivorous plants and have just bought a D. Spathulata from this web site. My plant seems to be fairly happy, most of the hairs have dew on them, and it has produced a few new leaves and a flower stalk since I have had it. The soil seems quite moist, but I have only watered it using the tray method and a spray bottle. Does this sound like a problem to you guys? Also, why are some of the hairs not producing dew? Thanks in advance for your help!   -Bryan

(Edited by bgkast at 7:29 pm on April 15, 2002)

hi. good choice with the spathulata! very nice and easy. well, just keeping it on a tray method for life is good enough. dont really need to worry about how wet, as long as its moist. Yuo can tell if its getting enough water/humidty if it produces dew. After ahile, some of the older leaves will stop making dew and just die away, like all other sndews. if all the leaves dont produce dew, try increasing the humidty by palcing a plastic cover over it or placing it in a tank with a partially covered top (use palstic wrap). thats about it. good luck

Some leaves ar just to old. After another couple of days they might do something. Make sure to use distilled water even when misting.
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Don't mist the leaves though, when dew mixes with water it will give it the ability to evaporate.

Thanks for the help. When I mist, I am using distilled water and I spray a very fine mist near, not directly on the plant. Thanks again! -Bryan

Other factors affecting dew production are flowering, and insufficient light. Be careful with the misting regimen, this species really can take lower humidity (60-70%) if acclimated to it. Mine sit outdoors in full sun in warm weather with no problems. Misting may lead to fungal problems, and this too can affect dew production.

Thanks for the reply. My plant is flowering so maybe that's why is not as dewy as it could be. For some reason the outermost hairs on some of the leaves are not dewy but the inner ones are, it probably just needs more humidity

Back