What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, as promised I went and scowerd the net for info on the sundew I will be growing. So as a little presentation to you all here goes:

D. aliciae: This plant has many small compact rosetts with spoon shaped leaves. It's not a picky plant and does well in terrariums at room temp and like all sundew high humidity.

D. capensis: A popular large fast growing plant that is commonly sold in shops. It can become a weed in a collection so keep the seeds away from other plants. This plant has the same basic favoret conditions as D. aliciae.

D.spatulata: This is likely many differn't types miss classed as one. The variations are huge from looking like a tiney D. aliciae to a large 7 inch plant with upright leaves. Colors varry a lot too. These plants have differn't preferences depending on what "varient" they are. I don't know what varient I have so wish me luck.

... my last plant I haven't looked up just yet.

Okay, the last plant I am cultivating is....

D. rotundifolia: This plant is one of the ones that attually lives in my home state! (YAY&#33
wink.gif
It is a small sundew that has little "pompoms" on the tips of it's leaves. Unlike most CPs theses plants are found growing in many wet locations and even on dead trees. They go dorment in the winter forming into a little ball and suisiding their roots and leaves. Of all CPs this is one of the few to invite itself back home after a bog has just been restored. These plants have tap roots for otheir first year only and switch to purely fiborious roots theirafter. They make an excessive amount of seed each year and the seeds can float in order to be dispersed to other shorlines
smile.gif

Odd that their was so much more on these little guys.

This is terrific research, and a fine contribution to this board! It's fun learning about the plants this way, and you'll get lots of ideas about how to grow them best.

There's a lot written on rotundifolia because it is one of the most wide spread species, being found all over the world, while the others are native to South Africa.

ya learn something new every day, wow theres actually a spatulata, that can get 7 inch rosets, wow
wow.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
thats really neat.
biggrin.gif

A 7 inch spatulata would be a rare exception I think! The largest form I have cultivated was Drosera spatulata Kansai form which was larger in diameter than a tea cup.

A 7" D.spatulata? Where did you get this information? I had a plant which was probably 3" across, which I referred to as "spatulata monster", but this is less than 1/2 the size you mention. Perhaps us growers should refer to a 7" spat as "spatulata giant monster".
smile.gif

My spatulata Kansai wont grow any bigger than a quarter, nice little plants but about the same size as my burmanii, a variety fast becoming a favorite, wow they grow fast.My spatulata have had a lot of light i think ill bring one inside and see whether or not it gets much bigger.What variety of spatulata seeds did you send out Tamlin?they are growing like weeds. every thing you sent me that i have planted is growing like a weed.

cheers,

Joel

Darcie,
The spatulata seeds I sent you should eventually grow to about the size of a half dollar. Those are my BIG ones....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 27 2002,10:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A 7 inch spatulata would be a rare exception I think!  The largest form I have cultivated was Drosera spatulata Kansai form which was larger in diameter than a tea cup.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yah, the website said the big one was extreamly rare and only found on some island off the coast.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sundewmatt @ Sep. 27 2002,10:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A 7" D.spatulata?  Where did you get this information?  I had a plant which was probably 3" across, which I referred to as "spatulata monster", but this is less than 1/2 the size you mention.  Perhaps us growers should refer to a 7" spat as "spatulata giant monster".  
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Isn't it awfull, I didn't think it was uncoomon info so I didn't bookmark the page. It might have been the seed bank though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Sep. 28 2002,02:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Darcie,
   The spatulata seeds I sent you should eventually grow to about the size of a half dollar.  Those are my BIG ones....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
smile.gif
Thats nice. I figured they where in the average size area. Remember I said up to 7 inches for a spiecies that is probubly miss IDed.
smile.gif

Back