What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. hirtella var hirtella and d. chrysolepis

G

I just checked my seedling trays and discovered germination for both Drosera hirtella var hirtella and Drosera chrysolepis. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with these species? Any tips or hints anyone can offer? I've done extensive research on both of them, I just wanted to see if anyone has any comments from personal experience
smile.gif

wow, good for you! I dont have any expierience with sundews so i cant help you there, good luck though!
Kevin

Thanks Kevin
smile.gif

It seems like nobody has experience with these dews, you're not the only one.
smile.gif

Hi,

As far as Drosera chrysolepis goes:

I personally don't have any experience with this species (I wish) but be carefull to keep this one in perfectly drained conditions, with moist BUT NOT SOGGY soil substrate. The suggested soil substrate for this species would be:

Sand, shredded sphagnum moss, and shredded tree fern fiber, in equal parts.

and another thing, disturbing the roots usually kills the plants, so transplant it seldomly and carefully.

Take good care of this plant, it is a beauty!

hope it grows well for you and has lots of babies
wink.gif

-noah

All the seedlings are doing well.. no sign of fungus or algae
smile.gif
I was wondering if I should leave them all in their flat or if I should transplant them to seperate pots.. and if so.. when? any ideas?

A good time to transplant is early on, before the plants root deeply. I usually do this after 4 or 5 true leaves have formed.

Hi purplesundew,

both species are very rare in cultivation so I would recommend to compare your plants (if they are mature) with some pictures on the web.
Sadly Drosera seed, especially of rare species, is not always labeled correctly.

This should be a "true" Drosera hirtella ssp. hirtella grown by Andreas Fleischmann :

AF_Dr_hirtella.jpg

Good luck !
Martin

Hey Purple,

Another thing to note(and I don't think this will be a problem where you live) is that most of these S. American Drosera are highland, so do not appreciate temps above the 70s.

Regards,

Joe

Martin,

This time I know the source: this seed was collected last August by Fernando Rivadavia and Robert Gibson in Modea, Brazil! It sure is nice to see these species making their way to growers at last, another example of what generosity can bring.

Hi,

oh, now I definitly wish purplesundew good luck.
(and congratulation for germination &#33
wink.gif

There is no better source for seed of these plants...

There was an article about cultivation of Drosera chrysolepis in CPN 26/4 (Dezember 1997) from Ivan Snyder.

Martin

Thanks for all the well wishes and information guys
smile.gif
The seedlings are growing nicely and have several small leaves already. Lots of dew so I am assuming they are healthy and happy. I'll keep you all posted and hopefully will have some young plants to start trading soon.
biggrin.gif

Happy Holidays!
-Bonnie

Looks like I have at least one d. hirtella germinating as well! I'll keep you'all updated. Maybe I can get this one into tc eventually.... I think very few south americans are.

cheers, and a merry Christmas to you all!

-noah

Back