What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone have photos or links to photos of the following?
                        Drosera acaulis (L.f.)
                        Drosera bequaertii (Taton)
                        Drosera cayennensis (Sagot ex Diels)
                        Drosera cendeensis (Tamayo & Croizat)
                        Drosera elongata (Exell & Laundon)
                        Drosera hirticalyx (R.Duno & Culham)
                        Drosera humbertii (Exell & Laundon)
                        Drosera insolita (Taton)
                        Drosera katangensis (Taton)
                        Drosera panamensis (Correa & A.S.Taylor)
                        Drosera ramentacea (Burch. ex DC.)
                        Drosera subtilis (N.Marchant)
                        Drosera sulphurea (Lehm.)
If so, please email me at
rrz7001@humboldt.edu

BobZ

Bob,

You might try contacting Phill Mann regarding the tuberous species you mention. Phill has an enormous collection of private photos of many of the Australian plants, and possible he might help you by posting some. As far as the South African species go, these plants are more myth than reality I'm afraid, many known only from single collections.

I might be able to come up with a photo of Drosera hirticalyx as I know of a grower who cultivates this.

Dear Bob ,

I searched for long exactly the same pictures , and I never found any...I know your site (excellent work , btw).

Try to contact the German , they'r growing some odd plants. See some excellent petiolaris-komplex pictures on their forum here :
http://www.carnivoren.org/cgi-bin....2722546

They also announced some new described African Droseras , I'll send you the link to the pictures as soon as I have it.

Did you ever have been in contact with Fernando Rivadeira directly ? Hasn't he some pictures from his "private" library ?

Regarding D.cayenensis , it's under local protection now. I met a person who had to work in the Sylvolab this summer , but she didn't managed to shoot some pictures (and she was working on Utrics...grrrr &#33
wink.gif

Regarding some african plants , as D.katangensis , or D.bequaertii , it will be a problem to obtain pictures , as the States in what they're growing in are under perpetual war since the last 20/30 years....
My father was in Katanga 1973 , but armoured , on tanks.....no chance for a good Picture-safari....

Patrice

Sigh. I have always longed to see these plants. I have heard that there are growers cultivating Drosera elongata, but they obviously have not posted any photos. So, these plants remain as myths, sad to say. Perhaps the plants are exant in their habitat. As Patrice mentions, no one is willing to risk the dangers the political unrest of the area generates in order to go sightseeing. How frustrating!

I notice D. meristocaulis isn't on this list, although I don't recall seeing a photo of it.....hmmm, time to check Bob's website for links!

Tamlin,

You are correct, I have found only a photo of D. meristocaulis from the NYBG herbarium, but no photos of living plants.

I think I will add to my list of needed photos those that I have only herbarium photos.

-Bob Ziemer-
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Bob ,

I was thinking of a potential source of pictures : in Africa there are many private reservations. Iwas searching for links on the Net and I found some plant-listings , listings that include the whoole plants found on this private-reservations....

Maybe you schould try to contact thoose private-reservations , they may have pictures on private albums , like thoose that Yahoo provide.

Patrice

Patrice,

What a great idea!!! I never once thought of that, despite seeing those lists many times in my search for these seeds needed for my seed testa studies! Thank you for opening a new door of investigation. I will be doing some heavy research and emailing.

I figure, if I shoot my shotgun enough times into the empty air, sooner or later a duck will fall at my feet. I go now to load the gun, and thanks for the additional ammo!

Uh, Glenn, that is BobZ's website. The one he is looking to add photos of these hard to find ones to
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Hi Bob,
I'm happy to announce that I now have D.hirticalyx, which I don't believe has been in cultivation until now. If and when it becomes photogenic, I will see what I can do about taking a picture of it. A few friends grow ramentacea and I should have it soon - I am surprised you didn't see at least one photo on the web as I have seen at least 2 online. I have a photo of what I believe is bequaertii but I am afraid I can't share it
sad.gif
. The tuberous ones should be easy. I've also got a photo of cendeensis somewhere as well, but that's another one I probably wouldn't get permission to post. Hmmm... and cayennensis too, I think...Eh, all these darn sundews look alike, it's hard to tell them apart! (KIDDING&#33
wink.gif

D.cendeensis is really interesting.
Oh - add D.peruensis to your list.
SundewMatt

Matt

You wrote above; MY COMMENT/QUESTION

I'm happy to announce that I now have D.hirticalyx, which I don't believe has been in cultivation until now. If and when it becomes photogenic, I will see what I can do about taking a picture of it.
LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU POST A PHOTO

A few friends grow ramentacea and I should have it soon - I am surprised you didn't see at least one photo on the web as I have seen at least 2 online.
I TOO AM SURPRISED. I SEARCHED AGAIN JUST NOW AND COULD NOT FIND A PHOTO. IF YOU KNOW OF ONE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I have a photo of what I believe is bequaertii but I am afraid I can't share it. The tuberous ones should be easy.
I've also got a photo of cendeensis somewhere as well, but that's another one I probably wouldn't get permission to post.
Hmmm... and cayennensis too, I think.
IF YOU CANNOT SHARE THESE, PERHAPS WE CAN GET THE OWNER TO PUT THEM ON A WEB PAGE SOMEWHERE?

Oh - add D.peruensis to your list.
I CANNOT FIND THIS NAME ANYWHERE, EITHER IN A SEARCH OF THE ICPS DATABASE OR THE WEB.

Hi Bob,

D.peruensis is a new species, just named. From Peru, obviously... (Duh)
smile.gif
There are also several new S.African species just described by Paul Debbert which you should look up. It's too bad I don't speak German....

I believe there is a photo of D.ramentacea on one of the CP groups on Yahoogroups.com. It's a photo of Greg B's plant.

I answered your other question in private email...

Matt

Thanks Matt and Patrice.

I recently posted links to the new photos for D. afra, coccipetala, liniflora, and longiscapa at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Drosera.html

I still need links to photos of D. rubrifolia and variegata of the newly described S. african Drosera.

Back