What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia

I have a D. rotundifolia and i want to know everything I need to know , how  much light and what temps it can take . I heard it like cold temperatures and need long cold dormancys in wionter but I do not know for sure .

Drosera rotundifolia is a temperate species found in the Northern hemisphere, and as such experiences a total dormancy beginning in early fall when the day length shortens and triggers the formation of a hibernacula by which the plant survives the winter cold.  Because of this, the plant is not suited to terrarium culture with other non-dormant and tropical species.  It does well under these conditions during its growing period, but would need to be removed and given the same considerations as other temperate species like the sarraceniae, VFT's and other temperate droserae.  For me, dormancy is not supported in warmer conditions, although the hibernacula will form on its own as the days shorten.  The plant is a bog dweller, often found in live sphagnum, or at the edges of seeps.  It likes wet conditions generally, although in habitat it is found in locations slightly less wet than D. intermedia with which it frequently found, and occasionally hybridizes with.  The plant self seeds, although the flowers are seldom open.  Seed requires a cold, wet stratification for the best germination, and is best sown in late winter or early spring.  This species appreciates cool roots while requiring full sun to achieve the deep red coloration and compact petioles typical for the species.  In less light, the rosettes will often be green, and the petioles more elongated.  I have the best success with my plants growing them outside, where they thrive with a relative humidity above 40%.

Hmmm, the varients in Michigan have open flowers and will grow just under the surfice of the water, on floating logs, on mats of floating plants and in sand. They can also be found on wetter forest floors and the more traditional sphagnum matts. I guess it's a pritty variable speices.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ April 10 2003,03:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Drosera rotundifolia is a North American temperate species,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
not really, they can be found in Europe too

Hmmm, you're both right. D. rotundifolia has the widest disrtibution of any of the Drosera species, and yes, it is very adaptable to varying conditions. Thanks for the additions.

I thought the 4x spiecies that came out of the rotundifolia (round leaf sundew) and erm, what used be called longifolia (Flat leaf sundew) was more wide spred then both parents.  I don't know what it's current name is though (Spoon leaf sundew).  Is that outdated info?  The article I read is pritty old and focussed mainly on the difference between the true hybred and the spieciesized(is that a word?) version.

Back