What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on this cross...

schloaty

Staff member
I actually have a scape on one of my aliciaes!! Very excited, since this is my first scape on these guys that I grew from seed!

At any rate, since I have plenty of them, and there are also several scapes on my various spatulatas, if it was worth crossing them (or trying to, anyway).

Does anyone grow this cross? Thanks for any input!

Sounds interesting... keep us updated!
smile.gif

I *think* that D. aliciae is 2N=40 which would be compatible with the pink flowered D. spatulata 2N=40 suggesting a fertile cross is possible.

I sure wish Ivan was a PFT member!

I am going on my memory here as regards these karyotypes, and my memory isn't what it never was.

Anyone know the chromosome numbers for sure?

You must find a way to insure that the cross does not involve self pollination, since both species do self.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You must find a way to insure that the cross does not involve self pollination, since both species do self.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Heavens to Betsy! How am I going to do this? I guess I could remove the stamens completely from the flowers I intend to cross, but I don't know if that will be easy. The flowers aren't that large, and, at least the spatulata flowers, have a habbit of openning up and closing back up while I'm at work. Natch. Of course, nothing that is actually worth it in life is ever easy!
wink.gif

Dave,

You might try writing a letter to Ivan Snyder bioexp@juno.com to learn what protocol he uses. Tell him I referred you. Ivan is one of the foremost authorities on Drosera hybridization, and a very nice person in general. I'm sure he would be willing to help you with your experiment.

Thanks Tamlin!
I'll do that. I'll let you know how everything turns out.
biggrin.gif

Hi again (2 minutes later)
I took Tamlin recomendation. Here is the text:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Ivan,
I was referred to you by Tamlin (William) Dawnstar about this little cross I would like to try. I posted a topic on the Petflytrap forum about whether I could cross my D. aliciae and D. spatulata that just happen to be sending up flower scapes simultaneously. Do you happen to know if the chromosome numbers are the same for these species, and if there exists such a hybrid?
Thanks for your time,
-David Schloat

P.S.
You can view the PFT forum post here: http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....07;st=0
I'll let everyone know what Ivan tells me.
biggrin.gif

If that cross is possible i sure would like to see the plant that results!

Hi Everyone,
Ivan replied to my e-mail:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi David,
I can not look at Pet Flytrap as I do not have web access. I don't know
of anyone else making this cross, but I can make an educated guess as to
the result. Drosera aliciae has 80 chromosomes and Drosera spatulata has
either 20 or 40. They should hybridize easily though it will certainly
produce a sterile hybrid. I also expect it would be a healthy hybrid, not
weak.
Good Luck,
Ivan

So it looks like I just may succeed when the flowers open!
smile.gif

Back