What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Efficient catchers

Well now that we've established the fastest of the 'dews, which sundews catch the largest and most bugs? Also which secrete in your opinion(s) the strongest glue?

My regias have snagged some pretty large bugs in the past so will have to vote for the mighty D. regia.

I have found multifida 'Extrema' (a type of D. binata) as a great catcher becuase it grows multple points, can can just "grab" a fly if it goes right into it
smile.gif

I would say the most efficient drosera variety is most likely D. capensis. However D. regia probably catches the largest bugs, having some of the strongest "glue" in the genus and have wide laminas.

-noah

I have to go with Zach's vote. My D. binata form hedge like clumps over the growing season that become black with prey (literally. It is sort of gross actually) Other very efficient traps other than those mentioned are the D. filiformis varieties and D. graminifolia. It seems the looooooong lamina types are the best at what they do: more surface area, and in many instances, the greatest lamilar activity. (as in D. anglica and D. intermedia).

Yes, I have three of those now, and they are voracious. My half dozen scorpioides are also very aggressive!!

Tamlin, if I may ask you, do you think the binata will require a dormancy every year in my mediterranian climate?

Thanks
Tim

If you can keep the light levels and warmth up over the winter, binata will continue to grow year round. I let my plants go dormant when I can't suppy their high energy demands over the winter. Last season I had my HID lighting, and the plants remained in VERY active growth. I find it better to let the plant conserve its energy acquired from the summer outside rather than waste it in producing etiolated lamina to catch non-existent prey.

Back