What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating drosera intermedia

Hi guys,

I have a pot of Drosera Intermedia, one of which is about to flower. OK, once I've got the seeds, how shld I sow it? Need advice on the soil composition, steps etc, cos I've absolutely no experience growing even grass, not to mention CPs.
tounge.gif

I've also read abt leave cuttings... can this be done with D.Intermedia? I mean, they don't flower everyday do they?

Many thanks in advance. You can check out pics of my D.intermedia by the link below.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ June 08 2003,09:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi guys,

I have a pot of Drosera Intermedia, one of which is about to flower. OK, once I've got the seeds, how shld I sow it? Need advice on the soil composition, steps etc, cos I've absolutely no experience growing even grass, not to mention CPs.  
tounge.gif

I've also read abt leave cuttings... can this be done with D.Intermedia? I mean, they don't flower everyday do they?

Many thanks in advance. You can check out pics of my D.intermedia by the link below.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
1) I sowed my drosera intermedia seeds in a 3 inch plastic pot in a half peat, half sand mixture. I left it under grow lights, 16 hours a day. they sprouted a week ago, hopefully nohting bad happens, and they grow to be adults.
smile.gif

2) leaf cuttings work on every kind of drosera, with the exception of drosera regia, and as peter d' amato says, shouldn't be preformed on wooly sundews and pygmy sundews. It'll work on drosera intermedia. Pluck off one of the leaves at the base of the leaf, and treat it like the seeds.
3) flowering has nothing to do with making leaf cuttings.

Hope I could help,
-Spec

Thanks Spec, so sowing the seeds, or the leaf, I just put the seed/leaf in the sand/peat mixture? How deep must it be?

Also, as for the mixture, I have to thoroughly mix the sand and the peat up together?

Finally, do I need to water the sowed seeds/leaf? Or do I leave it in a water tray?

Many thanks.

Drosera intermedia are one of the easiest drosera to propagate. The 'Cuba' form and 'Brazil' forms are especialy nice. Here is what needs to be done:

Seed>>
1. After collecting the seed, scatter them over a moist mix of peat/sand (mix until you see some sand and peat mixed).
2. The container needs not to be deep, maybe an ince (if you are willing to repot in the future. If not, use a deeper pot so the plants will be happy for thier whole lives).
3. Place the container (might i add, use a drained one) in a saucer of water.
4. place in a zip lock bag (if home humidty is low) and place under growlights or near a window to get light.

Leaf Cutting>>
***Very Easy***
1. Using twisers, gently pluck a leaf (including the white base).
2. Place on a mix of moist peat/sand or L/F Sphagnum.
3. Keep well lighted and moist.

Good luck-Zach

Hi Zach, thanks.... regarding the leaf cutting, do I leave the leaf ON the soil, or must I bury it under the soil?

Zach,
May I also ask how long it takes for a leaf cutting to root? I think I would like to try that with mine, but I want to know how long I should wait before I declare it a failure. Hopefully I won't really need to know, as hopefully it will just burst into growth...but just in case....

Be aware that D. intermedia (if it is a temperate form) needs seed stratification for best germination: at least 2 weeks in the fridge.

Spec,

Peter D'Amato is dead wrong about leaf cuttings not being successful from D. regia and the petiolaris complex Drosera as our own Pinguiculaman has so aptly demonstrated. The D. regia I am now growing came from a leaf cutting. Although it is true that the process is a bit more difficult and chancey, success is possible and such attempts should not be discouraged.

Hey ebeyonder, fancy seeing you here as well!
smile.gif
Your form is tropical and as long as the seeds are fresh you simply scatter on the surface of a pot and it'll sprout rather quickly.

Tamlin - I read with interest your previous post about propagating D.petiolaris complex plants via leaf cuttings. So far I've only been able to do that with D.falconeri, and even then with very limited success. Any idea if it'll work on D.lanata and D.petiolaris?

Leaves should be laid on the soil mix. Contary to what others may say, I have better luck with having the tenticle side facing DOWN on the soil. I have had much better sucess like that.

I would leave the leaves in until they brown away. I dont have anytime period for them.

Face down!! Well maybe that explains my lack of success...thanks Zach, this will open up a new series of experiments!

Someone posted success with another of the petiolaris complex member using leaf cuttings, but I forget which species. It is rather hit or miss, but it IS possible.

My complaint regarding D'Amato's book is that this inaccuracy will exponentially spread through a new generation of growers. We need MORE attempts, not less. Always take those ultimate statements with a grain of salt, and EXPERIMENT!

Back