What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia... (really capillaris)

This turned out ok...

D_rotund.jpg

Full Florida sun all day.

woa,cool! where did you get that! very awsome! I wonder if I could get a cutting...

This plant just popped up out of nowhere from some pings I got from Bruce Bednar. Surprise, surprise (in best Gomer Pyle voice).
smile.gif

Gorgeous photo, but I'm not convinced it is actually Drosera rotundifolia, too many tentacles pointing the wrong way on a petiole that seems to be the wrong shape where it connects to the leaf blade. Could you pan back a little and give us another shot of the same plant? Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Below is a link to an image found on the UK Forum.
Link to image of Drosera rotundifolia

Is that a D.capilaris instead? MAYBe even spathulata?(strechin it though, there aren't may stipules at the crown)

Yep, sure looks very much like Drosera rotundifolia and is that Pinguicula primuliflora?
biggrin.gif
Might be Drosera intermedia x rotundifolia though, would like to see the flowers. Gorgeous plants. I sure like photos of other peoples plants.

Super photo, what camera equipment/settings did you use?

Sweet Drosera
biggrin.gif
. In the pot of the N. thorelii x wittei that I got from California Carnivores, there are like ten drosera in it. I think most are capensis, and atleast one binata. There may be other species, but they're too small to tell. How large is that sundew, Dyflam. It may help.

PingMan, I take my pics with a Nikon Coolpix 4500 (my new baby). It has excellent macro capabilities. I like that.
smile.gif
The plant is pretty new and hasn't flowered yet. I remember the first time I looked in the pot and saw a tiny spot of red... excellent!

nate (hope you don't mind me calling you nate), the plant is about an inch in diameter and for anybody wondering, the ping is either a lutea or caerulia... we'll just have to wait until it flowers I guess.

That second pic is outstanding!!
biggrin.gif

I don't think that intermedia x rotundifolia is possible... When i was up north this past summer there was lots of rotundifolia and lots of intermedia... LOTS of it... In those quantities I would expect that some have been cross pollinated, but there was nothing that was an intermediate between the two... D. capillaris is not that simialar to rotundifolia... Its more easily confused with intermedia than rotundifolia... I would say your plant, Dyflam, is rotundifolia if its not spathulata...

If that is indeed a P. primuflora, than I would suppose that it is for sure rotundifolia...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Colieo @ Oct. 23 2002,7:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that a D.capilaris instead? MAYBe even spathulata?(strechin it though, there aren't may stipules at the crown)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
D. capillaris it is. I emailed Bruce and he positively ID'd it for me.

Eeek! I just looked at some more capillaris pics, and it looks like one of the dews I own is just another intermedia, and NOT capillaris! Oh well. Tahts not a bad thing... Hehe...

Uuuugh. If I'm wrong once more today I'm just gonna pack it in and go to bed... That's what, twice this thread, lol...

Lets see if I can state something true...

All spiders have six legs.
Bwahahaha...
Goodnight Everyone... -_-#

lol, goodnight parasuco, even your aviator looks tired...

wow.gif
*yawn*
wow.gif
*yawn*
wow.gif

Hay, Parasuco! All spiders have eight legs
smile.gif
!

Parasuco,
The form of capillaris you believe might be intermedia might be capillaris long arm form found in the Southern U.S. This beautiful plant is likely to be a hybrid between intermedia and capillaris. If the plant flowered with a pink flower, it is capillaris, if white it is most likely to be intermedia. Capillaris also has some hairs visable on the petioles, vs. intermedia which is galabrescent (hairless). Hope this helps.

Back