What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering like crazy

Hey, i got alot of seeds from noah a year ago, now they have grown and are flowering like crazy

since i have the pots on the bottom of my mini green house ontop of 1-2" of spag moss and LFS, should i let them flower and the seeds go on the bottom?

it would be neat looking but would the roots be able to go in that much?

i got some live spaghnum in august from Nep.G. and i have some growing on there which is spreading nicely but slowly and a whole bunch more in a small 2 1/2 galon tank and thats spreading nicely but slowly too

would the seeds bloom in the bottom or just die off, if so, it looks like im going to be having a HUGE load of babies, if anyone would like some seeds i would be hapy to take them and send them over but how do i take em off of the pods?

with these plants does fertilization have to occur or do the seeds just come in the pods if its a type of species that can change sexes and produce its own seeds its self

well if anyone would like some just tell me how to pick em off and if i should lay em out in the shade/house for a week or something (i have no experience of taking the seeds and sending them to other people) that would be cool

-Stefano

since i have the pots on the bottom of my mini green house ontop of 1-2" of spag moss and LFS, should i let them flower and the seeds go on the bottom?

***No, you should let them bloom, set seed and then harvest it. 1-2 inches is not sufficient space for most species. You could sow some seed there and make the experiment, but you will not need to sow all the seed that is produced, and setting some aside will let you have stock to experiment with different ways of growing these species. Also you will have some extra seed to share.***

it would be neat looking but would the roots be able to go in that much?

***The species you mention might grow. I would question if there would be enough light at the bottom of your terrarium to support good growth.***

i got some live spaghnum in august from Nep.G. and i have some growing on there which is spreading nicely but slowly and a whole bunch more in a small 2 1/2 galon tank and thats spreading nicely but slowly too

***This would certainly quickly overwhelm any seedlings***

would the seeds bloom in the bottom or just die off, if so, it looks like im going to be having a HUGE load of babies, if anyone would like some seeds i would be hapy to take them and send them over but how do i take em off of the pods?

***Wait until most of the pods have turned brown, with perhaps a few at the top still green. Sut the scape and place in a paper envelope. Label the envelope at once or you will forget what you have. After a week the pods will split and release their seed. Be sure there are no openings in the bottomof your envelope: the seed is very small and can easily escape. After a week, roll the seed into a smaller envelope likewise labeled, and place this inside a zip lock bag in the fridge. ***

with these plants does fertilization have to occur or do the seeds just come in the pods if its a type of species that can change sexes and produce its own seeds its self

***Both these species self seed, but they do not change their sex. Both male and female flower parts are present on the same plant. The flowers do not need to open to become self fertilized, and seed will be produced irregardless of this.***

well if anyone would like some just tell me how to pick em off and if i should lay em out in the shade/house for a week or something (i have no experience of taking the seeds and sending them to other people) that would be cool

***As above. Congratulations on your success with these species!***

Back