What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata 'small red'

My Drosera binata 'small red' seed germinated last march, and right now, the only living plant (most died after a transplant...
sad.gif
) is FLOWERING!!! I was wondering why the most recent leaf was really thick, and not growing in the same fashion as the rest. *click*. I just realized today. IT'S A FLOWER! Hoorah!

Um, a bit of a question... How much taller than the leaves that it has now will the flower stalk get? I'm not sure how I'd fix it if it got too big for the terrarium, but I'll have time to think about it...

Thank You.

It will probably outgrow the terrarium. You might try weighting down the scape somehow. I have the same problem with my U. longifolia scape, and this is what I am doing. I have no success with binata as a terrarium plant: if it does well, the leaves shade the new developing shoots and they always seem to etiolate, so I grow it out doors with good results during the warmer months. Then I let it go dormant when the cold hits. By summers end it is a hedge!
Anyways, congratulations on your mastery of the plant. It's a cool thing to grow from a seed to a flowering specimen!

The plant is doing very well in the terrarium, still no shading problems, but at the rate it's going, I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened. I think it will be outside in the summer though.

I am going to try to distribute the seed that comes from this scape, primarily to Canadians, but to the states too if I have enough...

Thanks Tamlin. The plant isn't even a year old, I was not expecting a flower scape ANY time soon!

Errr, ummmm, about the seed.....the complex usually doesn't self seed, and requires a different clone to effect pollination. Good news is that it reproduces well from both leaf cuttings and from root cuttings, as well as numerous offsets. It makes it a good plant to share. I can send you some seed of a different population if you would like to produce your own ' hybrid'.

Oooh, ok. Woops...
biggrin.gif

Can I perhaps take raincheck on that offer please? Having just applied to a few colleges, I'm not sure where I'm going to be living, and I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to take with me. I'm thinking of trading off mots of my plants and going ping or dew, for easy care in either dorm life, or life-at-my-sister's-with-a-niece... ie. Terrarium, easy to transport.
confused.gif

Once I figure something out, I may be interested though. Right now, I would just like to tidy up though. See what I can do..
sad.gif
I can't lose ma babies!

Dorm life can be rough on CP :) The seed awaits your call, and good luck with your plans.

Nothing beats a 10 gallon with power compact lighting in the corner of a dorm room.

Good luck with college.

joe

Thanks for the well wishes.

If I get accepted into the Applied Photography program at Sheridan, Utrics, Pings, and Dews would all make nice subjects!

Back