What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaahhh!help!

sad.gif
Hey all
sad.gif

I have a special grow light just for my burmanii seedlings. Last Fryday night I stayed up late, and when I went to bed I forgot to turn the grow light for the burmanii seedlings off!!!!
mad.gif
When I woke up all of the seedlings were brown looking and dead, but I did see a weed in the side of the pot looking fine.
mad.gif
I watered them, and after 4 hours i saw that only 8 of the 30-40 seedlings survived.
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
They kept dying slowly, and now I have only ONE seedling left!!!
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
How do I keep them from dropping dead? and will some of the seedlings return from the roots? Thanks in advance
-Spec
sad.gif

I always place my seedlings in an air tight bag or container when for germination. I then transplant into larger containers but I do cover them to keep the humidity up. It is possible that the grow light was too hot for the plants and they simply dried up and died. The ones that recovered probably had some life left into them, but it was just too stressful.

I hope the last seedling lives.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

YAY!!! WAAAHOOOO!!! I see a new burmanii! somehow it survived, or it was a seed that never germanated.
biggrin.gif

Now I have 2 burmaniis! hehe

Live and learn O grasshopper! The plastic bag is a good plan :) If you need more seed, let me know! :)

Thanks for the offer!
smile.gif
Hopefully the last 2 plants won't die and I won't have to pester you for seed.
tounge.gif
the weed died, I was hopeing to find out what it was, but never had a chance. When I germanated them,, I had plastic wrap over the pot they were in, untill they dried out and died... I took off the plastic wrap after that and they seem to do fine in cool temperatures.
-Spec

Yay! I kind of forgot about the seedlings for 2 days, and when I checked on them this morning, I found that 15 more seedlings popped up! the first 2 survivors are getting pretty big, about this big: :: (the size of 2 colons, or 2 semicolons) but the ones I found this morning are very small, about the size of a period: .

Good for you...and the plants.

I have a question on this line. Would it work to place clear plastic cups over the seedings?

Yes, clear plastic cups work great! Only problem is I've run out of them!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
and the humidity is high enough here that I don't need them.
smile.gif

When Plantakiss posted a picture of her burmanii, it reminded me to check on my burmanii seedlings... This is weird... I now have more burmanii seedlings then I started out with!!!  
wow.gif
What caused the extra seeds to sprout? They're everywhere now to many to count!
wow.gif
Did the drying out and extremely hot temps, then the cold temps, and again the hot temps cause the extra seeds to sprout?
confused.gif

Crud, I forgot to plant mine. I'll have to do that... where did I put the seed, ah!

Back