What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My D.macrantha seeds finally germinated!

yup, after 8 months sitting on my windowsill in a zip lock bag, 2 out of 10 D.macrantha seeds germinated! Why did it take so long, i danno. I fiannly have a tuberous sundew!

#### thats a long time to wait for a seed to germinate

what do they look like?

Tuberous drosera seeds can take very long to germinate(up to 3 years) although some like auriculata and peltata germinate much faster(within months) if they are sown fresh.

Oo, I want one!! This plant is on my wishlist. I particularly like it because it tends to cement some of its leaves to nearby objects as it climbs!
smile.gif

very nice plant martin! mine are just lil sprouts with one or two dewy leaves. after they get alittle bigger, immma transfer em to a 2 gallon pot each. should i wait till theuy mture for a dormancy? i heard for any sundew needing a dry dormancy, if they r kept wet, they will grow on like a sub tropical. is that true?

"...if they r kept wet, they will grow on like a sub tropical. is that true?"

Where did you hear this ?

I only tried to keep drosera auriculata moist year around...
They died back but the tubers didn't rot.
I also ahve some Drosera auriculata "accidently" growing in a pot of Darlingtonia.

If someone understands German, than you can find the whole story (and some pics) here :
<a href="http://www.drosophyllum.com/deutsch/versuche.htm

I" target="_blank">http://www.drosophyllum.com/deutsch/versuche.htm

I</a> didn't try this with any other tuberous spezies....

I'm very happy that I don't have to take care for them during summer.
This is the main reason why I'm going to spezialise on this Drosera (the best cps if you are travelling alot during summer :) )
Martin

Hey, if it's too big for you, I'll take it...
wink.gif

congrats zach
smile.gif

boy martin on your site the google toolbar translating your site to english is really helpful

wink.gif

martin, i heard that statement by Peter D'amato in his book the savage garden, and when i ytalked to him at the BACPS Winter meeting.

8 monthes... geez... I'll be half way done my last year of high school... almost... wow... well, congradulations. Personally, I dont like the tall, creepin/climby sundews, because i dont have any place to grow them, but they sure are pretty... Once again, congrats on that long wait!

Peter D'amato surely has more experience than I have :)

But I still can't imagine a tuberous sundew never dieing back.

Martin

These plants certainly require a dry summer dormancy despite what D'Amato has said. Not to worry though, they will do as they will, no need to force anything. The critical thing is when they start to look like they are dying is to allow the drying process to continue slowly, so the nutrient reserves in the leaves may be transferred to the developing tubers. The process should continue until the soil is bone dry, at which point it should be stored in a dry place out of direct sun where there is no chance of the pot getting wet. Then it is a matter of hoping the seedlings were able to form the tubers needed for growth in the cooler fall weather. Congratulations on your success, mine did not germinate despite the use of Ga3, so I have dried the pots out and will try again in the fall.

Back