What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a thred to record milestones in the growing of my first Gemmae, several other types of sundew seed and some northern purple pitcher seed.

Do to the lack of most medium this time of year, I've desided to experiment with a seedling growing kit that should reduce transplant shock.  I got a set of Jiffy-7 peat pellots.  They are 100% sphagnum peat that very quickly fluff out into a loose medium held by netting to let more air in.  Hopefully, this will let seedlings get proper extra wet condition with plenty of air and drainedge, we shall half to wait and see.

Day 1: Get Gemmae in mail.
Day 2: yell at store for not getting in the stuff I orderd yet, buy peat pellots for seeds, and decide to experiment with gemmae.  Hydrate pellots, loosen pellots by squeeseing, flatten pellots and rehydrate 3 times to rinse out any nutrients and small particles in peat.  Rehydrate and fluff (gentlly squease outside of netting to airate.  Add some extra water to tray.  Plant healthiest looking gemmea in pellots, 5-7 per pellot since pygmi live in clumps anyways.  Was only able to get 5 decent gemmea from last packet due to most being crushed during shipping
sad.gif
 Plant 14 pitcure seeds in two pellots (7 each) figuring I can thin them if I half too.  Sprinkle large number of remaining sundew seeds on each pellot, with each pellot holding seed of a differn't batch.

Growlist:
Top row left-right:
#5= D. platystigma, D.Paleacea, S. Purpurea, D. Rotundifolia 'Whales', D. Capensis 'Typical', D. Capensis 'Alba'
Bottom row:
#4= D. pygmaea, #6= D. echinoblasta ,S. Purpurea, D. Rotundifolia 'unknown', D. Cap.??? Normal, D. Cap??? Albino.

I have no idea what the full scientific name of D. Cap. is, but I'm guessing it is Capensis again, but seeing as my other two times getting Capensis seeds has lead to zero plants (yah, I know it's bizare seeing as how much seed they make) I'd plant both, besides, genectic varieation is good
smile.gif
 BTW thanks to those who sent me the seed, I was surprised to find so much, the left overs are in the fridge should these plants not sprout or if anyone wants some seeds, I can pass em on, lol.

Day three:
Gemmea...
(row# collum letter)
1A... 3 light green, 2 darkgreen
1B... 3 yellow-green, 1 light brown  
confused.gif
ek
2A... 3 light green, 1 dark green, 1 sprouted light green, 1 little red thing that I don't know if it is a Gemmea or not (looks like one, but red....)
2B... 2 yellow green, 3 light brown ???double ek

All others... very seed like

October seedlings?
We now have 4 mystery spiecies growing, inclueding two that look very sundewish, but don't look like what I suposibly planted!  We also have a large number of Spatulata growing happilly, some are proud ownvers of 10+ leaves
smile.gif
 The smallest two still only have 3 leaves and weather or not they are even Spatulata is hard to tell because the are thinner, more upright and have extreamly small round tenticalled tips (magnifying glass required to see tenticals).  They are also smaller then Spatulata that sprouted 3 weeks after they did.
Mystery plant #1 has been tentitivly ID'd as a liverwart, Mystery plant #2 has been ID'd as not being a sundew (no tenticles) but just as slow growing.
Mystery plant #3 is still unknown, grows comparativly fast, and sort of has a dew like look, but it's a bit thinker, two of these plants have sprouted in areas where I though sundew seeds had died...
Mystery plant #4 is another heavyer looking sundewish plant, but it branches more then #3 and is a bit lighter, it also grows fairly fast.  Both #3 and #4 may be a strange sphagnum or maybe some other bog seed mixed in the planting medium.

4 kinds of Algea-like creatures have been found inclued one very pritty metallic green kind that I sort of want to keep (stone wart?).
3 kinds of fungi have been found inclueding one that lives on a sundew, but doesn't hurt it (yah, I'm serious, it's been their for weeks and the sundew is bigger then the others). 1 that makes little white dots in the soil and water but does nothing else (it actually avoids plantlife with non within 1 cm of any plants) and one that has started growing on my sphagum patch and is about to meet Mr. Rubbing alcohol.

Day 4:
1A...No Change
1B...No Change
2A...Seedling has little root
2B...one green has become transloosent
Seeds... No progress

October seedlings:
Slime Algea is revealed to actually be a round green cell viod of nuculie but containing 3 very small chloropasts each. They are immobile and live in a mass. No cell wall.

Day 4-6: No changes

Day 6-11: Insain life= no checking

Day 12: recieve another envolope of seeds, packets written in 3 different handwritings leads to confusion who sent...
In the seed house...
D. platystigma= One big ol' seedling with a tri split tip
D.Paleacea=NC(no change)
S. Purpurea=shiney redness on one seed, sprout?
D. Rotundifolia 'Whales'=NC
D. Capensis 'Typical'=NC
D. Capensis 'Alba'=NC
D. pygmaea=NC
D. echinoblasta=NC
S. Purpurea=NC
D. Rotundifolia 'unknown'
D. Cap.???=AH! it's an invation (short green carpet of seedlings)
D. Cap??? Albino.= 1 seedling

Day 13: Go into town to viset home/play Yu-Gi-Oh/get more peat pellots for new seeds... end up hitting a semitruck thanks to ice, crush car into tiney block and have to give up shopping for plant supplies (I'm okay, and the car is still being looked at)...

Day 18: spend an hour carefully cleaning away patches of thinkest mold on each batch of seeds... then Slosh water by mistake and wash away 90% of D. Cap.??? Rescue a few from floating in water, shudder at thought of finding them sprouting all over the other peat pelots. Place soggy seedhouse under high intensity light to help counteract drownding.

Day 19: view the disaster zone and record remaining survivers/new births.
D. platystigma= single seedling, no vital signs in other gemmea. Seedling working on leaflet #4, a very healthy looking little fellow
D.Paleacea=one very small very pathedic looking sprout
S. Purpurea=NC
D. Capensis 'Typical'=NC
D. Capensis 'Alba'=NC
D. pygmaea=No vital signs
D. echinoblasta=Only one looks to still have a chance at sprouting, all others, decomposing
S. Purpurea=NC
D. Rotundifolia 'unknown'=One red sprout of mystery (don't know what it is)
D. Cap.???=2 surviving seedlings, both the largest of the group, I guess I'll pretend I ment to spill the water to um thin, yah thats right, I wanted to thin the seedlings eh ha.
D. Cap??? Albino.= NC

....Okay everyone, I'm going to try and get plastic pots from the store again, cross your fingers that they are in this weekend >.<

Day 25:
D. platystigma= sprout is 50% done uncurling leaflet #4
D.Paleacea=NC(no change)
S. Purpurea=shiney redness on one seed, sprout?
D. Capensis 'Typical'=Woo hoo, another baby boom today, I'll count them once they are a little larger (seem slimmer overal then other seedlings)
D. Capensis 'Alba'=NC
D. pygmaea=NC
D. echinoblasta=NC
S. Purpurea=NC
D. Rotundifolia 'unknown'=NC
D. Cap.???=Two survivors are working on leaflet #4, another midsized sprout next to survivors and a large pile of new sprouts(count when bigger) in corner(yay they just got muddy)
D. Cap??? Albino.= 1 seedling

o_O crasyness. I must ask, how are the other gemmea doing from the same batch as mine? If I can be 100% sure the ones that look dead are (aka other peoples are growing), I'd like to use their peat pellots to plant my newer shipment of seeds. Does anyone know how to tell, Tamlin?

-Darcie
P.S. the one that did survive is a happy little dew at least
smile.gif
Too bad the day they came was so darn cold, I'm guessing most of them froze
sad.gif

Darcie,

I heard many of those that got the last gemmae received them black and dead from the cold. My apologies. I waited as long as I could, and they would have died anyways, so I made the attempt. It was very cold when they had to go out. I hope something comes from the gemmae for you, but there is no real way of knowing. The larger fat gemmae should remain green if they are viable, but the smaller flat gemmae often can turn red or brown and still be viable.

Thanks Tamlin, I'm still looking at them, but I think most have decomposed. It's no biggy, it's not like we can choose when the plants make the gemmea and it was cold were I was too so they got a double whammy. However, I'm super happy with the one I did get as it seems to be growing perfectly
smile.gif
I'll just let it's gemmea take over it's pot when it goes up
wink.gif

Spectabilis73: NC=No change, I'm glad you like it. I thought it would be a good way for people to get a ballpark growth rate of the types I have.

Today's growth is:

D. platystigma= woo hoo! 5 leaves (still just the one green seedling)
D.Paleacea=still little brown dead looking dots, but some sphagnum looks to have begun the early fuzzy green stages of life.
S. Purpurea=NC
D. Rotundifolia 'Whales'=NC (stupid things, I got you cold and everything)
D. Capensis 'Typical'=Ah! it's an invation of plants, lol. Probubly a good 30 or so
D. Capensis 'Alba'=NC
D. pygmaea=NC
D. echinoblasta=NC
S. Purpurea=NC
D. Rotundifolia 'unknown'=NC
D. Cap.???=wow, even more have resurfaced from the pile of dirt that washed over them... I'm going to have way to many of these things, lol o_O
D. Cap??? Albino.= 1 big seedling, 1 medium seedling and it looks like we have 3 newborns
biggrin.gif

What gets me is how fast these things grow! It seems I just sprinkled my scorpioidies on the soil a few days ago, and one caught a bug yesterday. I can't wait to gemmae season to start building up my collection.

oh hey that reminds me. My one sprout doesn't have any visable dew or hairs and I was sort of wondering if the spiecies is weird or whatever. Anyone with these guys have a photo of an adult?

Darcie, if you don't mind, I'm gonna make a journal similar to this.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Feb. 24 2003,9:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">oh hey that reminds me.  My one sprout doesn't have any visable dew or hairs and I was sort of wondering if the spiecies is weird or whatever.  Anyone with these guys have a photo of an adult?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Which species are you refering to, Darcie?

Tim: it's a D. platystigma
Spectabilis73: Cool, go for it, the more info we have on growth patterns the better
biggrin.gif

In todays news:

D. platystigma= 7 leaflets, and likely to be repotted at long last tonight or tomarrow this sole surviver is thriving, although the exact location of it's dew-drop tendrals has yet to be found (anyone know?)
D.Paleacea=Invaded by a young moss, these guys don't look like they'll make it. Moss will be aloud to grow untill it readies for reproduction, just in case it is sphagnum. If it is not sphagnum, the top surface of this pellot will be removed and sown with another seed
S. Purpurea=Enters the freezer for some more winter conditioning
D. Rotundifolia 'Whales'=Aside from a little clear snotball of something, no signs of life, it enters the freezer!
D. Capensis 'Typical'= Estimate 60 seedlings, it's survivle of the fittest now, as they duke it out for the 1.5 inch diameter pellot!
D. Capensis 'Alba'=3 minute seedlings have come forth, but so has a mold, and in equil numbers no less, the mold spots are quickly treated with dabs of rubbing alcohal
D. pygmaea=Their is hope! A small, dark green um, thing! Yes a small dark green thing as sprouted, but it is currently unclear as to what type of creature it belongs to.
D. echinoblasta=NC
S. Purpurea=One seed may have sprouted with the help of a fungi, it will be placed in a seporet container and the fungi removed for further inspection, as for the pellot, into the freezer it goes, tra la la!
D. Rotundifolia 'unknown'=a light fungi can bee seen at work on the seeds, but appears to be the benificial type that mearly gives the seeds a velvet look. However, should it grow to excess it will be removed (a mold looking just like this helped octobers seeds sprout). Lets hope that mold is frost proof because into the freezer goes this pellot!
D. Cap.???=29 seedlings are visable survivors of the floor a few weeks back. The largest seedlings sport 3 leaflets.
D. Cap??? Albino.= The big seedling is NOT a capensis, I repeat, the bigest seedling is NOT a capensis! What exactly does this mean? Is it a freak seed, or are these mysterious Cap.'s actually the less common of the species that start with these letters, or could it be that the little root it sits opon is it's actual mother via vegitative propigation of some compleatly unexpected species?! Only time will tell, but currently Spatulata is suspect. Oh, yah and their are 10 other seedlings!

In other news today: Darcie has gone wacko and is reporting this like a news caster... oh wait the seed swap was done by terrorist... now she sounds like a news caster.

Snapper the flytrap was given a new home today. The move revealed a shocking 14 inch rhysome hidden away within the three inch pot! I bet that's one happy plant.

Octobers seedlings, 11 in all, were moved to a new home today as well. All 11 will be shairing the 4 inch pot untill they are large enough to warrent their own pots, or their precise spiecies can be identified. Resons for the move mostly revolved around unwanted nabors moving in such as snot algea and several freakesh non-vasular plants that look like something from a horror movie! Currently their are 3 different looking types, but it is not clear if this is related to growing conditions or species difference. One seedling in proticular is pink, not green and is being eyed closely.

-Darcie
smile.gif
hee hee, I figured I'd have fun with it today.

Today's news:

D. platystigma= Now living in it's slack potted perlight enviornment, the little plantlet has recoverd from transplant shock(or rather humidy change shock as it is still in the origenal peat pellot). It is very strange to have one of the smallest plants in the largest pot, but whatever.

D.Paleacea=NC
S. Purpurea=now out of the freezer to defrost
D. Rotundifolia 'Whales'=defrosting
D. Capensis 'Typical'=growing fine
D. Capensis 'Alba'=growing fine
D. pygmaea=NC
D. echinoblasta=NC
S. Purpurea=defrosting
D. Rotundifolia 'unknown'=defrosting
D. Cap.???=plenty with 3 leaves
D. Cap??? Albino.= growing fine

NEW:
D. Aliciea = placed in baggy of water to germinate
S. Purpurea = Attacked with rolling pin and placed in baggy of water as an experiment in germination.
D. Capensis 'red' = Too be planted later today
Old:
D. Spatulata = feeding on betta bio gold pellot bits, some will need food removed because it swelled up more then I thought it would. Generally happy little plants.

This timeline has run out of Pygmi dews in seedling enviornments. Theirfor, I'm starting a new timeline called Plant progress in general forums that will pick up these other plants and probubly throw in stuff on "adult" plants now and then too
smile.gif

Back