What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew seeds yesssssssssss

I just got some Drosera capensis and intermedia the temperate type seeds in the mail in a trade I just made .

Can I start them now or do I have to wait till the spring ? How do I plant them in some jiffy peat pots # 7s .

Im new when it comes to sundews I just got my first sundew plant capensis in the mail 2 days ago I placed 4 in my 20 gal fish tank and have the thing bright as heck 200 watts of lights
smile.gif
The sundews are doing alot better then ppl told me they would do at first . I allso have 1 capensis in my green house.

Well anyways I WANT MORE AND MORE
smile.gif
any one who can tell me how I can start the seeds and what time of year will be a big help.

Thanks
smile.gif

_-West-_

Capensis seed is really simple. Just surface sow into a pot of peat/sand or peat/perlite, at room temperature, maybe put it next to your other capensis plants, and in 3-4 weeks, you should have seedlings starting.
The intermedia will require cold stratification, and you might want to wait until late winter or early spring.
Nice to hear your plants are doing well. Capensis can perk up amazingly fast under the right conditions.

I just put the seeds in the same pot that the mother plant is in...and they are doing great! you don't even have to make sure there ok everyday! just don't water from the top. put water in from the tray.and make sure you keep an inch of water in the tray

Hello,

Thanks for the replys .

Ill sow the cape sundew seeds now.

carnivorous23 you said Intermedia will require cold stratification what dose that mean ? Should I pop them in the frezzer till late winter or spring ?

biggrin.gif

Thanks

_-West-_

After they're planted, they will need about a month of cold/cool weather. Either put them outdoors once their planted, in late winter/early spring, or put them in a fridge for a month (after sowing them), then remove them.
If it's outdoors, be sure squirrels won't get into it, they seem to like digging in peat moss.

This is what cold stratification means: Giving the seed a cold and damp period prior to germination conditions in order to prepare the seed for normal germination and growth.

The freezer can be too cold. If you can't give them a natural cold exposure (that is not too extremely cold), planting them as if you were going to just start them immediately and them sealing them into a sealable plastic bag and then keeping them in the refrigerator compartment for several months will suffice.

Don't forget to check out the search feature at the top of this page.

Oh ,
wow.gif

squirrels ? Whats that lol .
smile.gif
Last time I seen a squirrel was 5 years ago .I live in Arizona the only thing I got to worry about is snakes and birds .

Ill go head and put them in a pot and water then pop them in the fridge for a month right before spring time then . I take it Intermedia are hard seeds to get to grow . I hope it works .

By the way the capensis plant I got in the mail . I just seen it get a nat
biggrin.gif
So cool .

Again thanks for the help carnivorous23,PinguiculaMan,Spectabilis73.

_-Matt-_

search feature? on petflytrap? theres a search feature?! why didn't anyone tell me? where is it? I can't find it!
wow.gif
tounge.gif

It's that button with the magnifying glass. If you scroll to the top of the page, it should be roughly in the middle. It says "search" on it!
tounge.gif

Update:

The cape sundew seeds that I put in my tank all came up
smile.gif
I just looked today and seen little baby cape sundews all over.

The ones in my green house still have not came up . I am thinking because the weather in there is colder then it is inside of my fish tank.

Back