What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capillaris

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I was wondering if I might generate some comments on what people believe about the wide variation in this species. Below is a very high resolution image of this plant. Broadband connections, no sweat, but modems may take 10 minutes or more to download this:

d_capillaris_Pensacola.jpg

WOW, a beautiful plant and a beautiful picture

Capillaris is indeed a widely variable species, ranging from the large robust forms from the southern stations to the dime sized, deep wine red rosettes from South America. This is one species that growers should always try to add t their collections, even if they already have the species, because each has something to say with it's own unique beauty of color and form. This photo of the plants is fantastic, revealing the details of stipule and petiole that are so diagnostic to the species (with the possible exception of the long arm form). ICPS members will have a real treat when the Dec. issue of the CPN comes out with an article by Ivan Snyder regarding the long arm form so many have confused with D. intermedia (with photo by yours truly).

Too bad I won't get to see your picture....I'm not an ICPS member yet.
sad.gif
Looking forward to it sometime. Anyhow great pic Pingman!
biggrin.gif

Wow, capillaries is a widely variable plant as i can see from this picture. I grow what I believe is D.capillaries 'Alba', which has long petioles, white flowers, and clear dew (like that of capensis 'alba&#39
wink.gif
. Pingman, the above picture is just amazing; you got the details of everything. Do you happen to know the local of your capillaries? I would be thrilled if you have an extra to spare or trade with me.

Tamlin, where can you inquire a South American form? Is there a picture online that I can take a peek at?

Thanks-Zach

Zach,

I am tring to produce seed from my plants.  Unlike most capillaris, these are quite shy of flowering and setting seed, producing only one bud per scape.  They have only flowered once.  Possibly by summer I will have seed to share.

My plants are from seed sent by a friend in Brazil.   I will write and ask him if he can spare any more seed.  It was difficult to germinate, and the plants are very slow growers.

You can see photos of them at:  http://home.twcny.rr.com/tamlin/index.html

Look for the plant labeled D. capillaris Praia do Imbe Rio do Sul.

Do you get seed from your capillaris alba? I am interested in this if you ever have any to spare :)

Sorry to post this reply so late, but i just re-read it now
wink.gif

Tamlin, my 'alba' form does produce seed and next time i get some, ill PM you.

Yes, the location I collected the seed for this Drosera capillaris is the same corner near the Naval Hospital in Pensacola, Florida as the location I discovered and collected the "alba" type of the same, though it was a year or so earlier.

Back