What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating Drosophyllum seeds

I recieved a few Drosophyllum seeds from a few very nice people and i was wodnering if any of you have any tips on germianting them . also i heard that when germianting them they mostly die of damp off , is it ok to use a sulfur fungicide to prevent and treat this . i did recieve the type of fungicide from pft but

I've germinated Drosophyllum on a couple of occasions now, it seems fairly straight forward. I scarify the seed (rub away much (not all) of the seed coat with fine sand-paper on one side of the seed) and then soak for 24 hours in 100ppm GA-3 (lots of other growers don't use GA-3, but what the heck if it's in the freezer). Plant seed on the substrate (damp, gritty sand/peat 4:1), cover with a light sprinkle of fine sand and keep just damp, the seed germinates in 3-4 weeks for me. I have high germination (approx. 80%) doing this.

I have never had a seedling 'damp-off' and I end up thinning them out, only keeping the strongest growing ones. Think 'CACTUS' when growing seedlings of this plant, they are not typical CPs. I think that most of the damping-off problems must occur from keeping them too wet. They live in very dry, sandy/rocky soil in nature they are NOT bog plants. Check out the substrate on this photograph I took in Spain in February, to get an idea.

Dros2.jpg

Vic

Vic,

Great tip about preventing "damping-off". I have had no problem with germination. 80+% even with 22-year-old seed. My problem is losing plants after they germinate. Do you grow the seedlings under artificial light or natural sunlight? Intensity? Daylength? Temperature? How do you water? The more details the better.

Light = Full sun in a conservatory (17 x 13 foot greenhouse built on to my house)

Temperatures =  min. 10C (50F), Max 35C (90F) approx. The temperatures in my conservatory are pretty much within the natural range experienced by these plants.

Watering. I use the double pot method Slack-Potting. I grow seedlings in the smaller pot  until they have 6 leaves and then put it inside the larger, outer pot. I always water them from below. I give them just enough water so that the clay sides of the pot look damp, whilst the substrate surface remains dry.

I had one seedling wilt a little (under-watered) last week. This was growing in natural substrate from the site above (almost pure sand and rock), but it quickly recovered, in hours, when watered.

Vic

Using fungiside strait out on seeds usually just selects for a fungiside resisten vaient to attack them. What everyone here said is great for spiecies specific issues, but a good tip in general is to microwave your soil to kill all the spoors in it from the start
smile.gif
works great!

Darcie,  now why didn't I think of that?  Oh yeah!  My wife will kill me slowly with a pen knife if I put soil in the micro wave!  Ever watch friends?  She's like Monica about mess.  I may have to try that when she's not looking...

Vic,  I'm glad you posted your tips!  I just sowed some drosophyllum myself, and I would have killed the buggers!  I have to go home and take some water out of the trays....good thing the seeds haven't germinated yet (it's only been about 4 or 5 days since I sowed 'em), so wet substrate shouldn't finish them...I hope...

My drosophyllym seeds never sprouted, I knew i should have soaked them in superthrive water instead of regular r/o water

Back