What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Aliciae Flower stalks carnivorous?

N

nich

Hi All,

Are D. aliciae's flower stalks carnivorous? Mine are covered in dew right the way to the top, including the flower buds. Today I noticed that a small fly had been glued to one of the stalks & had died - just wondered whether it had also been digested...

Nick

I never noticed anything like that on mine, but it is a variable plant. I was amazed how tall the stalks were, relative to the plant. Actually, I did have a couple flowers get stuck on the window, but I didn't see any dew on it.

Yes, I've noticed the same. They don't have long tentacles with large globules of glue (okay, my vocab is all off but you know what I mean) but they are sticky, a lot like pings but not at all greasy.

I always get flies stuck on mine, I'm pretty sure they are digested. Tamlin, any thoughts on this?

-noah

I really dont know. It seems that the same glands that excrete the dew also secrete the digestive enzymes, so I think they are probably carnivorous.

This would make an interesting study topic *if* I had some time. right now I am stressing over the loss of my HID lighting (the ballast went after less than 2 yrs&#33
wink.gif
and what to do with a room full of light hungry plants (most non-CP), trying to find light tubes (like 8 of them fast, snow is predicted for early next week).

I suggest a websearch and report is in order.

Any takers? :)

I know this topic is WAAYYY outdated, cept I just happend to find it. I would think that the stalk traps small insects and things (and not big ones 'cause otherwise the stalk would get injured) to help with the flowering process. So, the stalk catches the bugs, and the nutrients don't go to the growth point of the plant, but to the flowers.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 19 2006,5:41)]I know this topic is WAAYYY outdated, cept I just happend to find it.  I would think that the stalk traps small insects and things (and not big ones 'cause otherwise the stalk would get injured) to help with the flowering process.  So, the stalk catches the bugs, and the nutrients don't go to the growth point of the plant, but to the flowers.

-Ben
This sounds like a very reasonable theory to me.

This is an interesting topic Ben, so I'm glad you brought it back to life. I've noticed this occurance on many of my Drosera flower stalks (Not just aliciae) and it has always perplexed me.

I honestly don't see why the stalk wouldn't digest the insects, unless there just wasn't enough dew present to envelop the entire insect...

Back